ISS digipeater

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KE3LB, Dec 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

The frequency information listed in this post is for LilacSat-2, but it was launched with several other amateur satellites from China in September 2015. LilacSat-2 has been rarely activated in the past year or so, but was on this morning in its FM repeater mode.

The Chinese satellite that is due to be deployed from the ISS is LilacSat-1.

https://upload.qb50.eu/detail/CN02/

It is scheduled to have a 9600bps BPSK downlink on 436.510 MHz. According to BG2BHC via Twitter, this satellite is scheduled to be deployed from the ISS on 23 May at 0815 UTC. Once deployed, there is a 30-minute timer before the satellite's radio and antenna are activated. It appears this will not have any uplinks available for amateur use.

As for ISS, it appears that basically nothing is coming from its packet digipeater. A couple of reports this morning of some bursts on 145.825 MHz; otherwise, silence.

73!

2. WD9EWK

Briefly. DK3WN said it stayed on for a couple of orbits, then the voltage dropped below 7.5 V which shuts off the 145.825 digipeater. Oh well...

73!

3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

could it be that the ISS crew have purposely de-rated or slowed the packet repeater somehow in order to ensure initial confirmation of the functioning of the cubesats? I imagine at some point they will be far enough away from the ISS that it won't be an issue?

4. WD9EWK

Maybe. I suppose anything is possible. ARISS has been mostly silent on the recent issues. With many in ARISS heading to Dayton this weekend, maybe someone there can ask ARISS for an update on the ISS packet situation.

73!

5. K9JKM

K9JKM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's good to know ... I saw the "new" LilacSat info on an AMSAT-UK post which pretty much consisted of only a link to the Chinese page. That page sort-of, but not so-good google translates into "Engrish" ... er, English ... I wonder if their new post confuses the Lilacsats. I guess it will be a bonus digipeater next week if the new Lilacsat has a digipeater that most packet beacons won't access via split frequencies.

73 de JoAnne K9JKM