ad: elecraft

ISS digipeater

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KE3LB, Dec 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE3LB

KE3LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just started working ISS digipeater hit it a few times with my elk on 440 never did it on vhf was wondering ,was it easier because I'm set up with a ar270 vetical on 2m and 44o and wondering maybe by the end of 2017 it might be back on 2 meters and easier to work am I correct thinking this way thanks 73

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

It was easier to work the ISS digipeater on 2m for one reason: no need to adjust your frequency during passes. You could set your radio on 145.825 MHz, and leave it. You have to tune for Doppler during the ISS passes when you work the 437.550 MHz digipeater.

Your vertical may not be a good antenna for the 70cm frequency. Most verticals that have gain are sacrificing coverage overhead, in exchange for better performance when the signals are closer to the horizon. This has been an issue for many that used vertical antennas on 2m previously, thinking they would work well on 70cm.

The last public announcement by ARISS said that a radio capable of doing packet on 2m may not be available until late 2017. A radio could be launched sooner. Until then, we have ISS packet on 70cm.

73!

3. KE3LB

KE3LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK patrick yes all i wanted to know was my 2m 440meter vertial would be sufficient when it does get to the 2 meter band again its a dual band antenna not worried on the 440 side of the vertical i have a 2m440 elk beam in a rotor that im using now for ISS UHF Ok thx

4. WD9EWK

Great! The Elk should help you with the 70cm work. Hope to hear you sometime, if you look out to the west during ISS passes. :)

73!

5. K6LCS

K6LCS Subscriber QRZ Page

UPDATE - never mind (grin) - back on .550 already!!!

Some have heard ISS packet activity on 437.525 ... probably will not last too long, and back to "new normal" as posted on the downloadable frequency chart at ...

Http://www.work-sat.com

But take Doppler correction into consideration and use .525 as your "center" freq for the next few days!

6. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been tracking the ISS using Orbitron and just now I was able to hear the ISS at 4, 5 S units on my portable Ft-1XDR using the factory rubber duck and got digipeated :)

AD5KO-7>SQUR7P via RS0ISS*,qAR,KA8YES-6 [​IMG] aprs.fi

I am still working on building my satellite antenna for the rotor and the ft-847. Getting there.

7. WD9EWK

Great!

As long as your antenna is oriented with the signal polarity from the ISS, it should be easy to hear. You may even be able to work it with the stock duckie antenna on higher passes. I've only used the longer Diamond RH77CA 2m/70cm duckie when I've tried to work ISS passes with anything other than an Elk log periodic, and only on the highest passes (at least 50-60 degrees maximum elevation). If I can work another higher ISS pass in the near future, I'm going to try using a "normal" duckie antenna instead of the longer Diamond duckie I have been using.

Good luck with the antenna work, and 73!

8. AD5KO

Another pass coming in about 40 mins or so. I waited until I had a good signal, the ISS went overhead, I didn't have a signal for long. This time it will be west of me, closer to you. I will try again.

AD5KO

9. WD9EWK

Next pass should be pretty good for you tonight, around 0345 UTC (9.45pm CST). Not bad out here, either - maximum elevation of 43 degrees here. I will not use a duckie for this pass, just my TH-D74A & Elk log periodic. Maybe I'll hear you on there. If I do, I'll try calling you by sending an APRS message.

73!

10. AD5KO

I am going to try sending you one also. :)