ISS digipeater issues?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KD0KZE, Oct 21, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got a chance to test the beam on an ISS pass using my portable and I am very happy with the results.

2016-12-19 18:24:31 EST: AD5KO-7>SQUR7Q,RS0ISS*,qAR,KC9YTT-10:`x?(l#-[/`"4W}DE AD5KO, EM31QV, 73!_$ (aprs.fi)

I also got messages from WL9AKZ and Jerry W8LR, also saw W0JW, nice ! :) So happy :D

[​IMG]
    Just testing, not finished, see below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    WD9EWK likes this.
  2. AD5KO

2016-12-19 20:00:32 EST: AD5KO-7>SQUR7Q,RS0ISS*,qAS,K8YSE-4:`x?)l#K[/`"4V}DE AD5KO, EM31QV, 73!_$ (aprs.fi)

WD9EWK-9 AD5KO-7 12/20 01:01:47z Reply Hi from DM43 in AZ. QSL? {3

Not this time but I will try again. It's kinda hard to send messages on this radio. I have been practicing though. You wait till the digi on NO-84 is on again.. I'll get you then!

That station WL9AKZ should have been WA9LKZ, I wanted to know who that was and could not find the call, so checked again.

Andrew
    AD5KO

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    WD9EWK likes this.
  3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Even on an HT like the Kenwood TH-D72 or TH-D74, typing text messages on a DTMF pad is not easy. After some prodding by KK6OTJ in California, I now use a group of canned messages to make QSOs - one if I am initiating a QSO, one if someone calls me trying for a QSO, then a "TNX & 73!" to conclude a QSO.

This is what I saw from you earlier tonight:

IMG_20161219_181122.jpg

IMG_20161219_181136.jpg

I did see my message to you being retransmitted by the ISS, and the ariss.net site picked up your position packet and my message to you.

Capture.JPG

Also seen in this screengrab from ariss.net are bits of an exchange between Fernando NP4JV-9 in southern Arizona and Joe KB6IGK-7 in Texas. This was KB6IGK's first ISS packet QSO. I didn't pay attention that close to the screen later in the pass to see this call show up, as I was trying to get my APRS message over to you.

I don't have a manual for your radio nearby. I wonder if in its APRS setup there is a way to store messages. If so, you can do what I've been doing lately for QSOs. Much better to press a couple of keys, than pounding the same key multiple times to generate a message in real time. At most, I might send a "73" or my 4-character grid locator now, but anything more than that is coming from the stored messages I call up.

73!

AD5KO likes this.
  4. AD5KO

The FT-1XDR does have a response message list for APRS. First I write the message then save it, I can then select from a number of basic messages I wrote. I have not used it yet and will look at it today. I am glad it has that feature, typing messages on the fly during a pass seems almost impossible. So thanks for the prodding. ;)

Thanks for posting the ISS info, 73.

5. WD9EWK

I was finally able to get the different PDF manuals for your radio from the Yaesu site last night. Looks like you should be good to go with some prepared messages you could use for ISS and (when available) NO-84 passes.

As an example, here are the 3 messages I normally use...

1. Hi from DM43 in AZ. QSL?
    2. TNX for call. DM43 here. QSL?
    3. TNX & 73!

(Grid locators in messages 1 and 2 are changed, along with my state in message 1, when operating away from home)

If I want to call someone, I send message 1 to the other station. When I get a reply from the other station, then I send message 3. If someone calls me with an APRS message, I reply with message 2. I should see something from the other station in response to my message 2 to wrap up the QSO. If I get a "TNX/73" type answer to my message 2, I can also use message 3 to wrap up that QSO.

I also have another message that describes my station (TH-D74A/Elk log periodic). I can store other messages if I am operating from an NPOTA site, doing an AMSAT demonstration somewhere (hamfest, radio club meeting, etc.) that can be sent to specific stations or as a message sent to the "call sign" ALL - visible by anyone, and not just one station.

73!

6. AD5KO

Thanks for the examples. :)

7. WD9EWK

Thanks!

I know I could have slightly longer messages, but longer messages means more time needed to transmit them, more time for the ISS to retransmit them, and more chances that the message isn't received at the other end. I didn't want to just go with "dm43" and "73" messages, and these messages are readable no matter if I'm using a radio or software on a computer to receive them.

There are some stations that are using simple terminal programs. If those operators just type freeform text to send through the ISS, the APRS-ready radios normally won't display that text. I know the Kenwood radios won't. Thankfully, more stations are going with APRS messages when trying to work other stations, no matter what equipment is being used by the operator.

73!

8. AD5KO

Unfortunately the messages I use must be considerably shorter. For example, "Hi from EM31 in LA. QSL?" will not fit but I can use CW abbreviations.

So I went with this:

1 Hi DE EM31 QSL?
    2 TNX EM31 QSL?
    3 TNX & 73!

This may change as needed.

I really like the FT-1XDR, it's a great little radio and the GPS really can get a fix indoors in seconds, it's that good. This is one of the best portables I have owned in a long time and I hope more people get them. It's making portable APRS and Sats relatively easy, but there is a lot to learn about it's many functions. So now I am making little notes for myself but I have no complaints about this radio at all, only praise.

WD9EWK likes this.
  9. AD5KO

The beams that I am setting up and currently testing with the FT-1XDR are really for my FT-847 Satellite radio, but I am also getting or making a TNC cable for it. I am looking forward to using this system, it should be a lot of fun on APRS via satellite!

I have been looking at the materials for building a portable dual band beam.. aluminum is getting expensive! Sadly it may be cheaper just to buy one.

10. WD9EWK

Those are readable for hams at a computer/laptop or those using the APRS-ready HTs. Looks like those messages will work fine. They will work if I see them. :)

It's nice to see more of the Yaesu APRS-ready radios showing up on the ISS passes. I used to have a VX-8GR, which was a decent radio, until I bought my TH-D72A in late 2010. We can still use more stations willing to make QSOs, and not so many interested in only beaconing their presence.

73!

AD5KO likes this.