ISS digi issues?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KD0KZE, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite getting a new car, I keep my old Jeep Cherokee Sport to haul things to the county compost site and generally think of it as my tractor. New vehicles are mostly aerodynamically designed, with curved hoods. This renders them useless as impromptu work surfaces (and who wants to scratch a new car?). So the Jeep's hood doubles as a workspace for satellite operations. The cold, dark and icy conditions at my QTH have always limited my mobile satellite experience. The last thing you want to do while aiming an Arrow II around with one hand, and holding your expensive HT with the other, is to face-plant onto icy concrete.

I need to find a cheap azimith-elevation all-season rotator solution. Don't need to swivel around a 25' Yagi array or withstand high winds. It's a build project I've love to tackle if I had the time.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

arrow2.jpg

2. K6OTW

K6OTW Ham Member QRZ Page

According to Iriss.website

There is one radio on the ISS that operates as a packet digipeater. The Ericsson HT is about 5watts.

I believe last time aprs worked well they where using the Kenwood.

Current stations

Columbus Module radios:
    • Ericsson VHF- Packet system is active. US EVAs for the remainder of the year are TBD. Russian EVA postponed until Jan 2020. (changes for Battery replacement US EVAs still TBD).
    • Ericsson UHF- Stowed.
    • MarconISSta - Temp. stowed.

Service Module radios:
    • Kenwood D700, station #1 (delivered in 2003) - Stowed.
    • Kenwood D700, station #2 (delivered in 2008) -Stowed.
    • Kenwood D710E (delivered in 2014 for MAI-SSTV) – Supporting Russian scheduled voice contacts. Continuing to support all USOS school contacts. MAI-75 SSTV scheduled for orbits over Moscow on Dec 4, 5 and 6.

3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

A SpaceX Dragon capture is imminent. Hopefully they will reactive the digipeater quickly after a successful Dragon capture :)

4. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this even legal? Give your doggie a callsign ... this is your AMSAT rep...:confused:

(2019-12-09 02:53:16) H0UND>S3RXRW,RS0ISS*,qAR,N6DAN-1:''R(l p/>"7u}WD9EWK with Valley the greyH0UND ^
    (2019-12-09 02:53:10) H0UND>APK004,RS0ISS*,qAR,KC5ILO-12::KK6OTJ :WOOF! DM43 in AZ de WD9EWK {30

5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for asking. Yes, it is legal. Those transmissions contained my amateur call sign.

With my position packets, WD9EWK is in the comment/status text. WD9EWK is also seen in the message I sent to KK6OTJ - as you illustrated above. This is similar to how others use their vehicle license plate or aircraft registration in the call sign field, and then put the amateur call sign in the comment/status text field as I did.

FCC Part 97 does not require me to put my call sign in that field, just that I identify my station as the rules require. I have done that. Unfortunately the digipeater wasn't working as well as it had been in the past couple of weeks, after the Dragon capsule docked earlier today.

W5SAT and WE4B like this.
  6. KE4AZZ

Would it not be best to put the legal call sign in the appropriate spot so it appears on the servers, maps and radio's...:rolleyes: you would think someone on the B.O.D. of AMSAT would want to set a proper example o_O

h0und.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  7. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks again for another comment on my operating.

My amateur call sign may not have appeared in the list you generated, but it did appear on servers, maps, and radios. You were able to see that in the raw packets you referenced last night, which came from one of the servers connected to the APRS-IS network. I also saw them on ariss.net this morning:

H0UND_raw_packets_ariss_dot_net.jpg
    and aprs.fi:

H0UND_raw_packets_aprs_dot_fi.jpg
    Raw packets eventually scroll off ariss.net, and aprs.fi only keeps raw packets for a couple of days.

Maps... yup, my amateur call sign is visible on maps. Here's H0UND on a map from aprs.fi:

H0UND_on_map.jpg

You can see the comment text, which starts with my amateur call sign. And in the Station Info link from this map, you see more details on H0UND, including - again - my amateur call sign:

H0UND_info.jpg

This is similar to what some packet node or APRS digipeater operators do. Here are a couple of examples from here in Arizona, starting with the LEMMON APRS digipeater on Mt. Lemmon, north of Tucson:

LEMMON_node.jpg

The amateur call sign for this digipeater, K7TUS, is in the comment/status text transmitted with this digipeater's position packets.

North of the Phoenix area is Mingus Mtn., home of the MINGUS APRS digipeater:

MINGUS_node.jpg

The call sign for this digipeater, W7EI, is in the comment/status text. It is transmitted with the position packets for this digipeater.

Even airplanes get into the act. Here's one I saw on aprs.fi this morning...

N116TP_plane.jpg

The amateur call sign KM4ENK appears to be the only thing listed in the comment/status text field for this station's position packets.

For those listening to 145.825 MHz when it passed over the southwestern USA last night, my amateur call sign would be available. Here's the station listing from my TH-D74 after that pass:

H0UND_on_D74_list.jpg

When I brought up the information on H0UND, I saw this:

H0UND_info_on_D74.jpg

This would look differently on other radios, or in software used for packet/APRS work like UISS, but the comment/status text with my amateur call sign would be visible.

I am not required to ID with every transmission, as you're probably aware. I could have sent a packet after the ISS went over the horizon with my amateur call sign, and that would have satisfied my requirement for station identification. Or if I had been transmitting for 10 minutes, I could have inserted a comment for a transmission at that time, and follow that up with another identification when I was done with this pass. Instead, I am including my amateur call sign with almost every transmission. Only the ACK packets sent by my radio when I receive a message (or when sending a REJ packet, if I had no more room in my radio to receive APRS messages) would go out without my amateur call sign, if I am using H0UND.

KM6LYW and WE4B like this.
  8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Viva H0UND!

WD9EWK likes this.
  9. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Patrick - did Valley confirm that she could hear the signal on the downlink before proceeding with additional transmissions? :)

WD9EWK and WE4B like this.
  10. KE4AZZ

I picture Patrick running around in circles chasing his coax after each contact:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.