ad: MLSons-1

Isn\'t it about time for USB?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KQ6MW - Gray Marshall writes "Have you noticed that new interface on your computer's backside?
    It's a USB interface and it can now be found on just about every computer currently being made. In fact, several computers that no longer have a serial interface, such as the old standard RS-232 (9 pin or 25 pin, take your pick), now have USB.

Isn't it about time that radios, as well as other ham equipment, started being built with USB interfaces? USB is extendable and most systems can handle up to 8 USB connections (either star-fished or daisy-chained). No IRQ errors, no pin settings, no opening up your CPU to find room for another expansion card. They can even be plugged in "hot".

It would be a great service to modern hams, many of whom have as many as 4 or more RS-232 ports hung on their systems, if they could switch to USB for Radio/Computer interface, Packet interface, Antenna rotator, and, maybe even PTT triggers for Digital modes such as PSK-31. While they may not be quite as easy to "home-brew", they more than make up for it in convience in most circumstances. My laptop for portable & field use has 2 USB ports built in, but needs an external adaptor for a single serial port.

Come on Ham Gear manufacturers! It's the 21st century. Let's start using a 21st century connection!

Happy Holidays & to all a Merry 73!"

2. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Go back to spark gap!!!

3. VA2GK

This is the Future man!!!

4. VA2GK

You STUPID!!!!!

5. VA2GK

You DUMB O.F.

6. VA2GK

Sorry if i offended someone HIHI

7. VA2GK

Duh!

8. zf1dc

zf1dc Ham Member QRZ Page

First if you are opening up your CPU for any reason something is definitely up. Hihi.

But seriously I agree with you 100%. It is time for Ham equipment came with build in USB ports. For those who still enjoy homebrewing will be able to figure out how to make the USB interface work the same way they figured out the serial interface. And Boy would it make it alot easier to setup multiple computer controlled functions of your PC without the inevitable conflict in interrupts and address that come along with the serial interface.

Glad someone brought this up now it is time the manufacturers took notice of the changing world of technology.

73's

9. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, some of us like cracking the case and doing interesting things to our computers. hi

But in any case, you're 100% right. Modern computers all have USB ports, and older ones can be retrofitted. MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD and every brand of Windows since about 98 all have USB support. At the very least computerized ham equipment needs to come up to speed with the computers you can reasonably expect to hook it to.

73, Creede

10. WA7KPK

WA7KPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried decaf? :)

73, Creede

11. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

USB is nice, but I think we need to address a few other issues before we make that quantum leap.

My main concern is why 19.2K is the highest speed for packet? We should be going for at least megabit speeds by now. After all, part 15 devices that use our spectrum space are up to that speed. Why is all this speed needed? For one, I want to be able to send/receive high quality digital video over radio. Secondly, I haven't used a dialup modem in over a year to access the internet, because there are broadband options available to me (T1/T3, Cable modem, DSL). Why should I have to crawl on packet?

12. KC8SJR

KC8SJR Ham Member QRZ Page

USB v.2 is due out the first of 2002. It should for all intents and purposes replace fire wire. The speed for USB 2 is set to be 480 Mbps. Just for info fire wire runs at 400 Mbps. Either way USB is about to get a whole lot faster.

KC8SJR

13. N9TCB

N9TCB Guest

Sounds like a real good Idea !! To bad YOU do not work for one of the Big Radio Companies !! I would be suprised if they are working on it already !!

14. KD3V

KD3V Guest

It is a transmitted bandwidth issue.
    Look up the allowed bandwidth for given modulations on the respective bands that packet is used.

15. AI2E

AI2E Ham Member QRZ Page

ZF1DC, please clarify: The CPU, or Central Processing Unit (Athlon, Pentium, etc) is a very complex integrated circuit chip with a lot of stuff on it, all of which is separated by less than a micron. If you take the cover off your computer box the CPU is the largest chip in there, and the one with the big heatsink & fan glued to it. Since the CPU is a sealed package, filled with extremely small components, how and why would you open it?

Brian
    KB7OIE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.