ad: chuckmartin

Is your wireless device Killing You?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN6SD, Feb 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it isn't.

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised that we've not heard of this case before where the FCC checked out someone's station, found it to be fully compliant then said he couldn't operate. It sounds like the FCC felt a duty to protect the operator from possible legal action. I didn't know they cared about that.

That must have been quite big news within the ham community at the time. "Don't upset your neighbors or the FCC will take their side and shut you down".

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It's like that in many countries. The US in general is an exception.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s possible that the FCC imposed Quiet Hours, as opposed to a complete “don’t operate.” Of course, if that coincided with the only time available for the alleged victim to operate...

That said, I don’t recall about hearing about this particular situation before. A little more information would be nice.

The closest thing to this story I’ve read about, I believe the story was in an old CQ circa the late 1960’s. The gist of it was that a ham living in an NYC apartment was accused of causing TVI, the complaint was made to a congress critter, who then complained to the FCC... of course, this was back when the FCC gave a hoot, but let’s not digress... who sent a team to investigate. The team quickly determined that the ham’s station was in full compliance and not causing any interference. (I THINK they also recommended that the complainer use a better antenna for his TV than rabbit ears, but I’m not 100% certain of that.) The upshot was that the ham ended up moving anyway... because the person complaining was his landlord.

5. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it interesting that you speak of feral cats as having a home and caretaker.

You do realize that feral cats are an environmental catastrophe (no pun intended) in progress? They are the number one transmitter of diseases like Rabies, Distemper, and even Bubonic Plague. In the U.S. each year they kill about a billion birds, lizards, snakes, and many other small animals. They do not discriminate and kill endangered species too. One Feral Cat Colony in Florida was caught taking newly hatched Sea Turtles off the beach as the turtles were crawling toward the water.

Keeping Cats in a Feral Cat Colony is not good for the Cats either. IMO it amounts to cruelty. The Cats are exposed and succumb to bitter cold, torrential rain, extreme heat, bugs, parasites, and diseases. They are killed by predators like Coyotes and run over by Automobiles. When they are injured they lay in the woods and suffer - their "keepers" do not go looking for them when they fail to show up at feeding time.

I could go on.... But, I will step down off my Soap Box now.

I know the post is a lot off topic... But, I digress. Cats belong in homes - not in the woods.

Dan KI4AX

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have lived in Richardson, Texas, for right at 52-years (next month). All but about 1/4th mile of Richardson's eastern border is Garland, Texas. Frankly, I have never heard of the FCC shutting down any licensed amateur radio operator because of any perceived physical harm to a neighbor caused by r.f. Such information would have been "all over" the amateur radio population here in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

Now, if the operator had been illegally operating on 11-meters, or "freebanding", then I could certainly believe that his operations were shut down. But, that would have been for illegal operating and not because a neighbor "thought" he would have problems with an amateur radio operator complying with the regulations pertaining to the Amateur Radio Service.

Glen, K9STH

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ho Hum. Just ANOTHER thread about the "hazards" of RF radiation. So everyone toss out their computers, iP*ds, cell phones, etc.

8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the very late 60s, when I was first licensed, the FCC was feared by many hams. (as well as “other services.”) The enforcement philosophy has changed dramatically over the ensuing 50 years. For many years, if there was an interference complaint against an amateur station, the burden of proof was on the ham. In the late 80s, while living in Midland, Texas, My wife got into a verbal confrontation with our next door neighbor. All of a sudden, I received a certified letter from the FCC advising me that my “radio” station was causing interference to this neighbor. It was mostly a form letter asking if I had a license to operate a radio and if I was using “a linear amplifier”. It ended with the standard warning about the severe penalties for operating an unlicensed radio station. (I had been a licensed ham for nearly 20 years at that time, didn’t they have a database?) BTW, In the nearly 50 years I have been licensed, I have never owned a radio capable of producing more than 200 watts, most at or well below 100 watts.
    Luckily, The Midland Amateur Radio Club had a very competent RFI committee which went through a tried and proven list of steps to identify and help eliminate interference complaints. The bottom line was that the neighbor’s consumer electronics was a nest of cheap electronics, mismatched TV transmission lines and faulty wiring. Nevertheless, for several weeks I was required to keep a detailed log of my operations for several weeks. Most of my operating then was on Navy Marine Corps MARS. Thankfully, in the past 30 years, the FCC has decided that the burden of proof is not on the ham and is most likely the result of cheap or improperly installed electronic equipment.
    Tom WA4ILH

9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is it almost nobody thinks for even a half second - UFO Unidentified Flying Object .
    Unidentified and then in the same breath claim it to be something - that's the definition of insanity .

That is one of the problems of YouTube - so much bs , that it makes it harder to find good stuff .

10. KN6SD

KN6SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, depends on the State you're in...….