Is Yaesu ever going to replace the 817?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KK4YDR, Feb 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been on a loooong hiatus. Is there any news in the wind about Yaesu replacing the venerable FT817nd?

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would they? They sell thousands of these little radios.
    Get a KX2 or a KX3 if the 817 does not fit your needs. Also take a look at the Xiegu X5105. For the price it has tons of features compared to the FT 817.

I am sure the day will come when they drop the FT 817, but if it still generates a good cash flow, I don't see a reason they should at this time.

Barry

3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If they could keep the form factor and upgrade the internal battery and add an internal tuner and sound card it would be a bargain at twice the current price.

KU4X, W1SRR and KU3X like this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. I submitted the following idea to Yaesu a few years ago and I guess they were not interested. I suggested they modify the FT 897D.
    Remove the 100 watt RF section and make it a QRP radio. Remove one of the batteries and put an auto ATU in its place. By removing the 100 section the current drain would be very low on transmit. With the one battery at a low current drain this would make a great radio for a fun afternoon in the park. It would equal the size of an IC 703. Yes, it's bigger than the FT 817, but once you add an external ATU to the FT 817 you are almost up to the size of the FT 897D and you still don't have the same size battery.
    They not only did not run with my idea, they dropped the FT 897D. Oh Well ! I guess I'll keep my IC 703+ and just use a small LiPo battery wire tied to the side of the radio.

It will be interesting to see how long they actually keep making the FT 817ND. They really put other manufactures of QRP on notice when they came out with the 817. What a great little radio. But it's time for improvements. Better get off your butts Yaesu, the Xiegu X5105 is in your price range and that little radio has a ton more features than the 817ND.
    Barry, KU3X

W1SRR likes this.
  5. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

From QRZNow blub on the X5105:

"fitted with up to 3 lithium batteries of 18,650mph each"

They could make it to low Earth orbit with those batteries.

Ted, KX4OM

WB5YUZ, K2CAJ and WD4IGX like this.
  6. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah but
    Yeah that is just an excuse though. Yaesu has become and remained a boring company with no innovation. Just my opinion. I admit that the x5105 is a nice device especially now that MFJ bought or is backing them.

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

KB2SMS, KU4X, KU3X and 1 other person like this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I made a QRP rig outta my old Knight Kit T-60 the other day.
    Just add a 6db attenuator.
    T-60's output set to 23w = 5 in the wires.
    Boat anchors made great QRP rigs and are good conversation fodder.

KU4X likes this.
  10. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

It could use NOAA weather radio receive, FM broadcast receive and another 5 watts and a tuner.

My 703+ has a tuner and the extra 5 watts but is missing the others and also a tad heftier.