Is this the worst antenna for portable use? - Comet HFJ-350M Toy Box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

LOWES AND TRACTOR SUPPLY

M1WML likes this.
  2. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes i have and it was a load of crap..never again..

3. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll stick with my monoband antennas if that's ok with you..

PD5WVE and N1IPU like this.
  4. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. Anything that conducts RF power is antenna. Good or surrogate, whatever. Radiation of an antenna does not depend on resonance but on current distribution in it, and losses caused by resistivity of real counductor, of the ground (where applicable), and so on. Radiation/losses ratio is measure of antenna efficiency.
    Dummy load has almost 100% losses (intentionally) so it has steady impedance within its working range. Obviously dummy load would appear as resonant antenna on any frequency so useless for tuning the amp for a real (imperfect) antenna at given frequency (where particular impedance may vary).

Matching may be wanted due many reasons but this doesn't mean the antenna itself has to have resonance to radiate efficiently. Sure one can tune rusty nail and call it 'antenna' but its efficiency is still radiation/losses ratio, not the resonance.

M1WML, KR3DX and MM0JNL like this.
  5. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

An end-fed half wave is way less expensive and easier to use.

Pete

NL7QY, N1IPU, K0WJ and 2 others like this.
  6. K0WJ

K0WJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're focused on too many inconsequential things. In most of the views of the radio, I saw full power output. If the radio is putting out full power, then be satisfied. Focusing purely on SWR is wasted effort. Too bad the analyzer doesn't have a direct readout for efficiency - that would be something to focus on that would have some benefit.

M1WML likes this.
  7. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think as the thread has meandered around we have established that, whether or not this is the worst portable antenna on the market, it has shortcomings, and there are plenty of better alternatives.

K6AEA, K1CWB and KR3DX like this.
  8. PD5WVE

PD5WVE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't shoot the messenger hihi. All is okay by me. resonant mono band dipole with coax works perfect.

M1WML likes this.
  9. KD2LFG

KD2LFG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You would be better off sticking a long piece of wet spaghetti in your radio than this antenna.

M1WML and KR3DX like this.
  10. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

W/o chile sauce it won't work. ;)

M1WML and KR3DX like this.