ad: elecraft

Is this new, or just new to me?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K7MEM, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been hunting around a various sites, looking for a new laptop. My old one is falling apart, mechanically. But as I am looking around I am coming across laptops with "S" mode enabled. This mode prevents the user from installing any programs that do not come from the MS Store. They even go as far as telling you how to disable the "S" mode in the description of the laptop.

I have read some of the reviews and people seem to have a problem disabling the "S" mode. Some even said that MS admitted to having problems with that mode and disabling it. I tried to find it on my current PC, but couldn't.

So is this new, or just new to me? I would never consider buying such a device.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's the full story on "S-Mode" https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

I run into this fairly often in my work world - it's Microsoft's idea of creating higher security in corporate spaces. I see it most often paired with other security measures like non-functional USB ports, networking tweaks to only allow certain port ranges to be usable, stuff like that.

Not that I actually KNOW anything about it - I just have to deal with it when talking products that I rep that in fact require USB access, non-MS software to be installed, etc. It's frustrating in those situations.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps it is both?
    NEW to you if you previously purchased retail new, or built "DIY," in which case "S" mode never comes into play. It's "used" computers from (mostly) corporations who have ordered (specifically) "S" mode because their IT Departments insist, or simply don't want to deal with "oddball" software. (In this case, "oddball" is anything not sold by Microsoft.) In theory, "S"mode can be removed, but it isn't clear; you MIGHT buy an "S" mode computer running Win10Pro, but if you convert to "regular" Windoze, it results in Win10 Home version... And to paraphrase: "You can't go home anymore." Once you convert a "S" computer to regular Windows, you can not go back to "S" mode.

OLD, because it is has been around for a while.