ad: wmr-1

IS THIS LEGAL?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N1YS, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1YS

N1YS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my first time on the forums so I hope this is the right for this question, I'm going to school here in Pa. and they don't allow 2m/70cm handhelds even only to listen to my question is, is this legal? It is considered a post secondary school any info and where to find regulation stating the contrary would be helpful. We can bring them but we have to turn them in when come in and can pick them up when we go off the property. Reason "WE DON'T WANT ANYONE LISTENING TO OUR FREQUENCIES!"
    73's N1YS

2. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

I know here in Canada if they own the property they make the rules of what you can and cannot have. My school would take cellphones but i could carry my ht in my bookbag.

dont want people listening to their Frequncies? you can do that anyway!

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Questions, questions, QUESTIONS ? ? ? ! ! !

Who is telling you to turn in your radio? What frequencies are they trying to prevent you from listening to ?

I have heard of some jurisdictions preventing people from having scanners capable of picking up police band frequencies in their cars. But this sure doesn't sound like that kind of situation.

I can't imagine that anyone can prevent a licensed amateur radio operator from picking up transmissions within the amateur radio service bands. If they are operating within those bands for purposes other than amateur radio , then it is THEY ( whoever THEY might be ! ) who are in the wrong !

JMHO

4. N0WUE

N0WUE Ham Member QRZ Page

by law they can't restrict you, but academically they can punish you

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems childish on their part, but I don't believe there is anything that will override there decision. Their playpen their rules.

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Wrong reason. I dont think there is a law protecting you from the school not alowing you to have either a radio or a cell phone. Of course their could be. The thing is, the reason.. If I were a school administrator I would want to remove as many distractions as I could from the learning enviornment. To pretend a need for secrecy is rediculous.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Lee
    NI7I

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

If your school is using the ham bands for communications then they are in violation of FCC regs. The amateur radio frequencies are not to be used by commercial entities.

Honestly, if my school had a policy like that, I'd just find another school because paper from this one won't be worth a nickle.

8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's some things about your post that don't make sense to me.

Are they specifically banning ham HTs only? Or is it a blanket ban on small electronics including cellphones, blackberries, ipads, etc?

What does "considered a post secondary school" mean exactly? Is this a private facility? If it's a private facility they can ban anything they want.

When you say "Reason WE DON'T WANT ANYONE LISTENING TO OUR FREQUENCIES" what exactly does that mean? First, who told you that - someone in authority or some flunkie? Is that exactly what they told you or are embellishing it? Are they using ham radio to conduct business? Or are they using other frequencies for security services or something that might be picked up on a ham HT?

And finally are you telling us the whole story? What prompted this? Why now but not before? What changed? New management? Recent incident? Security concerns? Are you being singled out or subject to some sort of special scrutiny or discipline for some reason or does this apply to everyone?

9. N1YS

N1YS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is actually a state owned and operated school for adults with disablilities and lower income to aid in higher education or better employment. It used to be you could listen your radio but over the last the security decided no radios that can possibly recieve thier frequencies.
    N1YS KEVIN

10. N1YS

N1YS Ham Member QRZ Page

They use analog uhf free and open. i asked about a few months ago and that is what i was told so i didn't bring my radios there are no local laws regarding this here in Pennsylvania. I didn't try to pursue this earlier but it's getting nice outside and I'm started to get bored. I'm going to try to get this policy in writing but don't think I'll get one. Oh Yeah they never did allowed transmitting on the property. No this not a prison we are free to come and go as we please. I just wanted to get some other opions.
    N1YS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.