Is there something that stinks about the new rigs?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N0WUE, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Ok, I thought the 2000 would be a knob /button larger rig with no menues to worry about. It didnt prove to be the case. The menue system seems just as deep as you find in compact rigs like the IC7000 (which I have owned) and the FT757 (which I havce also owned. both of them I used while avboarde merchant ships) I ended up with an old Yaesu FT767GX which has the functionality I was looking for. The Henry was just more power than a sane person should want. I had always wanted one but couldnt, until recently, aford one. Alphas were just out of the question. I ended up with the FL 7000 that matches the transciever.

Regards
    Lee
    NI7I

2. CT2JUT

CT2JUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Lately I´ve seen many Yaesu FT-450 rigs for sale.

They´re still under warranty, I wonder what´s the idea?

All I know is that people don´t like their display...

73 de Miguel

3. W1OBJ

W1OBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are so many radios to choose from and unfortunately most of them are highly complicated. None of which is needed to experience the enjoyment of ham radiio.
    Ofcourse there are those who have to have the best, or at least think they have the best.
    Knowing what I think I know now I would consider the Electraft K2 or K3 or the Ten Tec Omni 6.
    These radios are made in the USA and Ten Tec is always there when things go hay wire with the radio.....something to consider for sure.

4. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Everyone

I see a lot of fairly new rigs for sale here in PA and as reason they give.
    Operating the rig is to complicted.

In short they have bought a rig that has more menu's and knobs then there braines can handle.

I bought a FT450 recently and I am very pleased with it.
    My other portable radio is a FT857D which I have for 5 yrs now.

Both radio's please me vy much, but I miss the simplicety in use of my old FT920.

It would be nice if manufcterers would produce a radio like FT840 again, with no menu's and a few good roofing filter on 9MHz.

5. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hehe this reminds me that I bought an amplifier about three years ago and I have not used it but maybe two or three hours. :p A lot of people buy something then it turns out that it is just not something they really wanted but rather something they thought that they wanted. However I don't like to get rid of things once I have them.:p

6. AA5TE

AA5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

In amateur astronomy circles, it's recommended to attend a "star party" (or several) to see what telescopes and/or binoculars you like and what you don't, as well as what to expect from various types of scopes. Star parties are usually hosted by local astronomy clubs several times per year (or month!) and provide newcomers the opportunity to try out different types of scopes and binoculars. The only equivalent that ham radio has (that I can think of) is field day, and the rigs usually aren't available to be tried out by newcomers as well as they would like as they are already tied up in contest style QSO's. Just a thought...

7. K4FX

K4FX Ham Member QRZ Page

Used Radios

Well, I think some people may be like I used to be, as soon as I knew every function on a rig, I would get bored and sell it at a loss to buy something new. As I aged I grew out of that and learned that once you get something that works well and you like, hang on to it. Nothing in my shack is for sell.

I don't think there is anything wrong with these radios on the used market. I have noticed several who commented about losing jobs and needing to pay bills. Sadly that is the way things are these days.

Back in the 1980s I bought 2 brand new radios, a TS930 and a couple of years later a TS940, BOTH were bad outta the box and had to go back to Kenwood, what are the odds? Since then I see buying used as a way to let someone else work the bugs outta it

Bill K4FX

8. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i sure didn't think so...

9. VE3LXL

VE3LXL Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thing is that many hams don't have a retail store handy where they can check out a rig before they buy it. So they buy online based on the pictures and specs there. And sometimes when the rig arrives, it turns out to be something other than they expected, and it gets stuck in a closet until they decide to get rid of it.

10. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

"Surface Mount Technology"

SMT is bad for new rigs - and for Hams in general. The idea that we won't be able to fix our rigs and exercise our knowledge of electronics is just bad news.

By the time no one will be able to fix their rigs in the next couple of years; what will be the point of learning enough for that Extra class? Much like throwing the baby out with the bath water...

It's not as though we aren't seeing this already. But as time moves on - it will quickly deteriorate further. How many can fix their 2m rigs? That all depends - of course - as to when it was mfd...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.