Is there something that stinks about the new rigs?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N0WUE, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0WUE

N0WUE Ham Member QRZ Page

I know there will always be a certain level of this, but I see a lot of used rigs (still sold as new) up for sale. TS-2000's, ft-2000's, and so on. Is this typical of the market, or are people really unhappy or is most of it just the typical buyer's remorse?

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's any number of reasons why someone might want to sell a fairly new rig, that doesn't necessarily have to do with the quality of the radio.

Maybe they bought it just before the economy went bad and now they need the money.

Maybe in the initial excitement of getting their license they bought more radio than they should have and later decided they really weren't into ham radio after all. Maybe the hobby just isn't what they expected or wanted.

Maybe they just want a different radio for some other reason.

3. KJ4CMG

KJ4CMG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. It isn't just limited to radios, I see the same things with firearms or any other hobby.

4. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Most of the rigs you note are not "new" rigs but have been sold for at least ten years. I have owned several IC7000's and sold them as well as a ts2000. The rigs were fine. My needs changed. When I bought the 2000 I wanted a "larger" rig that I assumed would not be so menue driven.. WRONG.. It's a little bigger but is just as menue driven as the little 7000 and the 857 and 897. I ended up with a legacy rig a FT767gx. It has most of the bells and whistles and no menues to navigate. Plus, the buttons are far enough apart that you have less risk of hitting two at the same time.

The short of it (too late for that I guess) is that a persons needs change. That and the person didnt really research enough before buying the rig in the first place (that would be me)

Lee
    NI7I

5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people just thought that was the rig for them. The pictures look good specs are good but when it arrives at there home it just looks different than the big ads in the magazines and the internet.

My point. I thought I would like to get the Icom 910H photos look good. I really did not pay attention to the dimensions of the rig in ads, but when I saw a few used ones at the local hamfest I was disappointed in the radio. The radio was small the digital screen was way to small. :eek:

So research what you want to buy, and go find one you can physically look at and go from there.

If you spend $2000 to $6000 for a radio, it had better be a radio you plan on keeping several years. :D

6. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

A different point of view is e-Bay. I see several items of ham equipment for sale, and the ad says. Kenwood TL-922 A. Bought new has less than 2 hrs on it, sat in closet the last 15 years. I don't buy that story for a second. Think about this. Have you ever bought a new rig or amplifier and done this. :rolleyes:
    You are right something stinks about stories like this. I am sure it has happened, once or twice in a lifetime but not every week as it seems to happen on e-Bay.

7. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm always suspect of the 'only used two hours' BS - how could you know a rig is no good in only 2 hours of operation?

Any hobby has lots of people who are just equipment nuts - I also ride motorcycles and I know guys who buy a new bike every year or two, even though the old one is far from worn out. Some just want to drive the newest rigs.

I suspect also that some people find, after buying an expensive new radio that it is not all the radio they had hoped for. It took me a while to adjust to the fact that a $4,000 radio was not more sensitive than a $800 radio.

That being said, there are plenty of reasons to buy one radio over another, but if you just want to operate, you might be disappointed in the performance of a 'super rig' compared to other equipment.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have an antenna tuner for a TS-440 that I bought at the time I got the rig, back around 1990 or so. I never used the tuner and it's sitting in the box it came in, never having been unpacked (that I remember).

HHhhmmm. Not sure what that says about me . . . :eek: :D

9. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only that, but who cares anyway. I would trust a rig that is used for 15 years, more then one that sat in a closet.

Solid state devices don't wear out. BS that serves no purpose anyway.

As for newer rigs, there isn't much that is that exciting. There are some like the K3 that have raised the bar on receiver performance, but most of it is just new bells and whistles.

When I get bored, I restore an old boat anchor. And instead of spending money, I can make a few bucks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  10. NI7I

NI7I Guest

He was talking about new gear. As a matter of fact, I havce bought gear that I used, maybe once, and put in the closet. It's not necessarily BS because you personally havent done it. Don't believe the guys story? Dont buy it.

Lee
    NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.