ad: KF7PMW-1

Is there really a 6-meter band for radio amateurs?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WA7DU, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been a worthwhile thread for me. Lots of good info and good advice, which may require an "expanded" point-of-view regarding my selection criteria. Thank you to all who replied.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 6 on my FTdx5K, and I tune over there to 50.125 every night, but there is always NO ONE THERE!

3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Six meters is a marvelous band and can quickly become addicting!

I got on 6 back in 1998 after I bought a used original 706. Station evolved from a 706 and attic dipole through a 706MKIIG and FT-817 to a 756 Pro II and Super Antennas beam over the years.

In my opinion, any rig that gets you on 6 is worth the investment.

And if you like to play with antennas, six is the bomb!

73 and have fun!

Jim N3AWS

4. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they are there, but are allergic to cats.

5. N9DG

N9DG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's about 1000 words describing why only watching or listening to the calling frequency is a rather limiting strategy (scaled to 75% of actual screen size):

July_6_2014_6M-cmts1.jpg

A similar thing occurs on the 2M 144.2 MHz SSB calling frequency as well, but never as dramatic as this 6M example..

Duane
    N9DG

6. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A dedicated rig helps as you can park it on .125 and set the squelch with the volume up but you should be able to that with the 5K as I think it has an independent receiver. Also, I have had the radio parked for 2 hours and not heard a thing, called CQ and had 3 stations come back to my call. Also, I have the most success on CW around .100, CW greatly extends the range on 6, of course that's true on all bands but especially on 6..

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Beam that works well, and rotating it a lot, helps.

I always hear stuff on 50.125 (well, not "always," but several times a day or night), but never know where it's going to come from. With a 7L beam that's fairly sharp, it's easy for it to be in the wrong direction.

I hear the N0LL beacon in Kansas a whole lot, and that's halfway across the country...but often even when I hear Larry's beacon, there's nobody around!

8. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If a beam is not an option there are affordable horizontal loops that will work.

9. KM4YH

KM4YH Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to add my 2 cents about 6m. To get your feet wet, search this simple antenna site(wvfisher/hdoublebay). this wire antenna is so simple & its performance is unbelievable. I have tried many antennas, this is a keeper.Mine is about 35 feet above ground,in a maple tree.It is directional, I turn it the old fashion way (hand).I have worked the midwest & the azores with a 100 w.Get busy getting this up & enjoy the openings.

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MHZ:

You are suffering from the 50.125 MHz malady! You are listening but NOT calling CQ. If someone is not transmitting then there will be no signals to be received. MANY 6-meter openings go unnoticed because everyone is listening and no one is transmitting!

Call CQ. If no one answers then rotate the antenna about 30-degrees and call CQ again. Do this for the entire 360-degrees of the compass. If there is even a hint of an opening, calling CQ will usually bring stations out of the woodwork!

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.