Is there much 10m AM activity?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2UHC, Dec 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a number of G-50s about, but very few G-28s. It took me years to find a good Gonset G-28. I know of two others in use in New England. It is great to see there is interest of getting on 10 meters AM. Sometimes, I monitor 29.0 MHz.....Remember Ozona Bob, W1PYT? Talk about old buzzard transmissions, but he always a good signal out of Texas. When 10 is open, I have heard a dozen AM QSOs going on between 29.0 and 29.1. It's worth trying!

K3XR likes this.
  2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did Ozona operate on 10? It must have been some long ago cycle during which the band was open around the clock. From what I read and heard, Bob was an antenna guy. Never ran a lot of power but at that gas facility on the outskirts of town, he was allowed to keep his shack there and use the company towers. If he was on 10 he probably had a monobander on a tower.

W4KJG likes this.
  3. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob operated on 10 a lot into at least the late 80s.

If he called CQ and didn't get an answer he would do a roll call of OT ops.

W1GAC, W2WME, W6HDU? and a half dozen others.

IIRC he used a yagi at a very specific AGL to maximize ground gain.

Not sure what tx he used but his receiver was an AR-88 or one of it's variants.

W5PYT is still in the middle of a transmission somewhere.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When the sun comes back, which it is starting to do AMers will be there, 29 000 and up
    Actually this was a pretty good E season and I made a number of contacts in the spring and summer.
    With all the 10-meter activity in the past few weeks I have been listening daily but only made a few contacts also I am hearing a little bit of FM Simplex activity 29.600 too.
    With the poor conditions are I would recommend more power than the 3 or 5 watts out of the old CBs this isn't the 1980s or 90s anymore, don't expect much but enjoy

5. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

For the past 4 weekends, typically only saturdays and sundays around 1700utc +-, on 10 meter AM have I heard a PY, (BRAZIL) station and a LU (ARGENTINA) station working each other in spanish around 28.388 MHz +- a few kHz with nice sigs from the LU which would make sense if both were using directional antennas and much weaker copy on the PY ham.

And on 29.3 and 29.6 FM THERE HAS been some strong ZF, PY, LU and TI stations for the past 3 weeks from around 1630 to 1800 utc like clockworks.

Finally this monday and yesterday I started hearing Japan on 29.6 FM around 0015 utc with very short openings.

All on a little 10meter yagi at 30 feet pointed in the respective directions here in cn84, oregon

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    W2VW and K3XR like this.
  6. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

10 AM phone doesn't have the 10 operators in waiting like 75 meter round tables. When the band opens, maybe next year it will have many operating on 29 MHz. No wait, just call CQ. Truly my favorite band for AM. Last cycle wasnt very good, so I am hoping this will be a better one. How many cycles DO we have left Gents ?

K3XR likes this.
  7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 29.000 and 29.100 programmed into the memories of everything here that's AM-capable with a memory bank and which is connected to a 10M antenna (4 rigs in the present rotation).

If I hear an AM CQ I'll answer.

KW6LA likes this.