is there any good books about Echolink.

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KF5FAI, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5FAI

KF5FAI Ham Member QRZ Page

New here and I was wondering if there were any good books about Echolink.

I have no Idea what it is all about but I do know it ties the computer radio and internet together. I would like something to point me toward the correct software and hardware, needed to operate Echolink.

Thanks for all your help.

BOB KF5FAI

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K2DSL

K2DSL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There actually is a book on it at http://www.arrl.org/shop/VoIP-Internet-Linking-for-Radio-Amateurs/ which you can get from the ARRL or any other 3rd party that sells the ARRL books (Amazon, local ham radio dealers, etc). I'm not sure if you would really need a book though to get comfortable with using Echolink.

If you are looking to use it at a computer it is just a computer program that connects to various nodes/repeaters all over the world. You don't use your radio but headphones and a microphone connected to your PC. It is pretty straightforward to download and install and the tricky part for some folks is getting their router configured properly for port forwarding.

David - K2DSL

4. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Book

About the only book I am aware is from the ARRL VoIP: Internet Linking for Radio Amateurs By Jonathan Taylor and is available on Amazon and a host of other places.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.