Is there an uncomplicated way to get a 4-digit call?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AK5B, May 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jeff,

No need for you to do anything if you get a new call. QRZ will automagically update it within a couple of days after it shows up in the FCC database.

Good luck!

Regards,
    -Bruce

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was REALLY confused by "four digit call."

I couldn't figure out what it even was until I finally realized that a 1x2 or 2x1 has four characters if you count the number and letters as the same - as a character.

Not being pedantic, I really had to read like 2/3s of the way down page 1 to figure out what was meant.

Well, good luck. I've no idea, and just chose years ago to stay with the same call that was issued with my Novice in 1977. :)

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, you mean I don't even get to celebrate?:(

Thanks for that tip, Bruce.

NH7Jeff soon xx5something when I get lucky...

4. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I loved my novice call because it was very rhythmic in code and the phonetics of the suffix (RCK) were good for me too because my name is Charlie and I lived in Kansas at the time, "Romeo Charlie Kilo, Radio Charlie Kansas" worked good for me when trying to be heard in a pileup on 10 meters. I upgraded from Novice all the way to Extra and never even thought about changing my call. But the, the vanity callsign program came along and I decided to give it a go. It was a mixed feeling when I changed but now I've had my vanity callsign for 24 years, after having no original Novice call for 13 years, which I thought was a long time because I had made so many contacts with it.

AK5B likes this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

No-vem-ber ho-tel sev-en ro-me-o Os-car por-ta-ble whis-key five is eighteen syllables. Not so much fun when contesting or trying to bust a dx pileup:D.

Although I have had many second thoughts about giving up my KH6 call I know it makes good sense for me. We may move again in the next year or two but we will never go back to Hawaii. There's no point in keeping a call that is confusing to others in most on-the-air situations as far as I can see.

If I get one of the calls I'm after next month I'll be down to 6, 7 or 8 syllables---and my tongue won't get so darn twisted anymore.:)

I'm looking forward to filling out that application and hitting the send tab...

Jeff

KU4X likes this.
  6. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you're in Texas, I don't have an issue with fiver vanity. :p

Saw a pic of your car in another thread - you can wait to update your Texas plates until about a month before they're due. They won't "prorate" unused time on the old plates.

I used AE7Q.com, pretty much exclusively, as it's really quite a good collation of FCC data. The FCC ULS application was very easy.

AK5B likes this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that. Once I scrolled further down the 5-land page (which I previously hadn't realized there was a lot more to the page that I thought) I discovered the long columns of 1x2 and 2x1 calls coming up in the near, mid and distant future. Since that discovery I spent a lot of time perusing them and contemplating the phonetics of each call I considered. If I am lucky enough to get any one of the four calls I put down in my preference list I will be a happy camper, for sure.

Thanks for mentioning the Texas registration/license plates aspect; my two cars and motorcycle all bear plates with my current call and I'm wondering what to do once I get a new call (get new plates or keep the old?). It's slightly more complicated since my wife is also licensed (Tech)--- her car is registered in both of our names---yet all 3 vehicles bear my call plates. Perhaps the County Tax office can figure out what I/we will need to do soon. Her registration expires this month, mine is July and next April for the moto.

I forgot to ask how long it takes to find out if I am lucky or not but I suppose I will get a notice in the mail in a couple/few weeks (unless they send me an email which would be quicker and wonderful).

I'll update this thread whenever that time comes...

Jeff

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree the on the1 by 3s, are great and overlooked W, K, or Ns

9. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The "lucky day" is 18-21 days after you submit your application. Here again, AE7Q's website is your friend. If you scroll down on the home page, you will find a table entitled "Pending vanity application prediction summary". The left-hand column shows the (FCC) application receipt date. The next column shows the (FCC) process date, which is the day all the magic happens. I would encourage you to play around with that...it will give you something to do as you count down the days! :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Regards,
    -Bruce

AK5B likes this.
  10. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you apply for a call, you can see on AE7Q.com the expected process date. Usually 18 days, but sometimes a day or two longer.

When you get up that morning, check the FCC website first because AE7Q usually gets an update mid-morning. If you applied for a callsign and were in competition you will be able to see in the early morning on the FCC website whether you got it or not.

Just remember, if you have three or four calls on your list, make sure you file for each of them on the right day and not all four at one time if they are available on different days.

AK5B and KU4X like this.