Is there an uncomplicated way to get a 4-digit call?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by NH7RO, May 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Bruce; I'll take another look at AE7Q's site although I already have a short list of calls available reasonably soon, too.

Jeff

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't overlook the 1x3 call signs. They can be just as easy to use as a 4 character call sign. I mostly operate CW and my call sign works great. But it also works great on SSB. I can't remember the last time someone got it wrong.

I made Extra in 1999, before they did away with the Morse Code tests. But I saw the signs that, the code tests were going to be dropped and knew there would be a run on vanity call signs. Especially the 1x2 and 2x1. At the time there were lots of them available, but I liked my 1x3 the best. I just renewed it the other day.

Kilo Seven Mike Echo Mike

K0UO and NH7RO like this.
  3. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Want a lottery?
    Just submit a 605 requesting the next sequential 2X2 call
    for the fifth district.
    The last listed was issued on May fourteenth, AG5YW

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

He's a dashing OM! :D

5. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are looking for a 5-call, this is your page: http://www.ae7q.com/query/list/GenLicAvail.php?REGION=5

For example only, if you wanted the callsign N5AO, this is your day to apply:

Capture.JPG

June 5. No other day.

The site seems daunting at first because of all of the charts and colors but it updates frequently, and if you learn to use it, it's a five-star sort of thing. RadioQTH is nice too, but AE7Q is far more comprehensive overall.

NH7RO and KU4X like this.
  6. NH7RO

UPDATE: I've found a couple of calls that I like and want to get ready to apply. I went to the FCC website and promptly started going in circles over and over after clicking on online filing... I could find everything but an application form; perhaps I am missing something?

HELP!

I have my FRN # and FCC Record # and am wondering if anyone here can direct me to the correct page online where I can actually apply for a particular call on the day it is available? Do I need to fill out a new Form 605 or is there something else I should fill out instead?

Any help getting me closer to the finish line will be appreciated! The AE7Q site is great and so is RadioQTH---thanks again!

Jeff

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

NH7RO likes this.
  8. W0AQ

Remember, you have to apply on the right day for each call.

NH7RO likes this.
  9. NH7RO

Thanks guys! Looks good---I'll hopefully update my new call sign here in early June if I am lucky.:)

Jeff

10. W0AQ

I watch the vanity callsigns just as a side interest.

Recently, the call AA0A was available. Great call! There were 20 competitors by the time it was assigned. Less than I figured. Another pretty good 2X1 call, had only one applicant, which was also a big surprise.

NH7RO likes this.