Is there a WSJT-X black list?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SV1SLB, Oct 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I remember reading that post also. An EU station getting all bent out of shape about other EU stations calling him when he was calling for DX...

A veritable tempest in a teapot. Some folks take ham radio way too seriously. These same folks take QRZ too seriously too!

Ham radio is a diversion from the ups and downs of daily life. If it ever rises to the level of becoming your sole purpose for living, well you need to re-think things.

So, once upon a time, when I was a newbie, I got chastised for calling "CQ DX" on ten meters. The OF told me that I was missing out on a Chinese station just up the band, and why was I wasting time calling CQ DX when the DX was over there? I had the pleasure of telling the OF that the China station had answered me when I called for DX, and then when we were finished talking I relinquished the frequency over to the fellow from China, and went to this frequency to start over...

Strangely enough, I did not hear back from the OF, who, by-the-way, never offered up his call sign... I learned later, that the "DX Cops" hardly ever tell you who they are. Anyway, it was a learning experience. These days, not having a big station, I never call for DX. Still work some from time to time, usually during contests.

WB0ZRD, VK4HAT, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  2. KR2C

KR2C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that your comment is pretty sad. Just because you might feel excluded doesn't mean that I should change my preferred goals in Amateur Radio.

3. EI4HWB

EI4HWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Was that, by any chance, an EI station? Was he also on about not answering dupes and not needing your grid?

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IT must be true!! I called and called a JT station for weeks and months and he simply refuses to work me. I veriifed I was copiable to him and not buried under other stations. He simply didn't want to work me. I needed him badly for my Last WAZ Zone on LOTW!
    I can only hope another JT Station gets active. I am surely blacklisted by this Ham for some very Unknown reason. Maybe he doesn't like who I support in the Election! He is a Facebook Friend!

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Details W1VT JT1BV 2019-04-26 01:02:30 20M FT8 14.07606 MONGOLIA

Details W1VT BG9NJY 2020-09-12 01:16:00 20M FT8 14.07661 CHINA
    Details W1VT BG0BPZ 2020-08-12 01:34:00 20M FT8 14.07433 CHINA

Details W1VT UA0YAY 2012-11-03 12:14:00 20M CW 14.03800 ASIATIC RUSSIA

There are four call sign areas that are in CQ Zone 23. JT is the obvious one. But, 0 and 9 in China are also in Zone 23. And UA0Y in Asiatic Russia.
    I've worked them all and confirmed them in LoTW.

Zak W1VT

WA6MHZ likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

To coin a phrase... "With friends like that..."

KB2SMS likes this.
  7. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer to your question, "is there a black list", in WSJT-X", is no there isn't.

The ability to ignore any station is easy. Just ignore them if that's what you want to do. A couple times I have accidently clicked on a state side station calling CQ DX before I noticed they were calling for DX. So it can happen. But it's best to try to avoid it by paying attention to what you and others are doing. Paying attention does get a little sloppy on FT-8 sometimes because in my opinion too many operators let the software do their "paying attention" for them.

For one of the more rare DXCC entities, pile ups on FT-8 happen just like on any other mode. The difference is the callers can be spread all over the pass band. Someone in a more rare European DXCC entity like San Marino for example, might want to take advantage of a band opening and work other continents. A CQ call made on FT-8 by a T77 prefix is going to light up PC's all over the world with all sorts of colorful bars showing New DXCC, New Continent, etc. And potential callers will pounce on it before they think to see if they are in the part of the world he is calling. Accidental calls will happen. Deliberately ignoring a request for specific responses also happens.

We all need to remember to be courteous and respect others directed CQ calls. To do otherwise will only discourage the more desirable stations from getting on the air and giving anyone a chance to contact them.

KR2C and W6MDA like this.
  8. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Full disclosure -- I've always thought calling CQDX was a waste of time. I've always found it better to tune around and listen for DX.

What do you mean by DX? Minimum number of miles? Outside of your country? Different continent? RARE DX only?

Foogeddaboudit. Unless you're a station the DX would go out of their way to call, just listen around. More fun that way anyway.

Or so say I!

W0AQ, N4NYK, N5XKG and 2 others like this.
  9. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts exactly.
    DX could be 50 miles,

10. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a valid point and in a lot of situations I agree. But if that's what everyone did no one would work anyone because we would all just be listening and no one would be calling.

It would be like creating a new contest and the rules of the contest would specify that everyone must operate search and pounce; that running is not allowed. There would be pretty low scores in that contest.

FT-8 is a particularly hard mode to do directional calling; that is, calling CQ looking for specific responses. This is due obviously to the limited options you can use in your call. On phone and CW it's much easier to call CQ DX EU for example, and any experienced operator should know that you are looking for responses from Europe only.

It's not always all about what the caller wants. Sometimes it's about what the caller wants to do for others. This time of day, even with current band conditions I can frequency turn my antenna toward Europe and call CQ DX on 20 meter CW at 1 KW. It's usually easy to get a small pile up of responses, and if not a pile up, be able to get successive responses from European stations running 100 watts or less to low wire antennas, ground mounted verticals etc. who are glad to have a QSO with a North American station that isn't really rare DX, but is of interest to a modest European station that has been working for months or years on their Worked All States. I don't need any more European countries confirmed on 20 CW. But I don't mind responding to the S-0 to S-3 signals and waiting out the QSB fades to give them a shot at working a station they desire. Even when doing this I still get responses from US stations with an S-4 signal that will completely block the low power Europe stations.

Believe it or not there are lots of experienced hams that are quite familiar with propagation characteristics for specific bands at specific times of day. You will see it put into practice a lot on DXpeditions. They will know when the most likely time of day will be to have the best propagation opportunities to work a certain part of the world on a give band. Even though signals will likely be weak, it will be their best chance. So when a DXpeditions on Willis Island (VK9W) calls CQ NA on 80 CW and a requested response can't be heard through all the Asian and South American callers who are disregarding the directional call, then you gain a whole new appreciation of directional calls and those that respect the request.

KD7MW likes this.