Is there a way to opt out of the logbook?

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by KD8GNC, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8GNC

KD8GNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just not interested in using this feature at this time and would like to be able to opt out. Not only would it remove the nagging logbook flag from my screen, it would let others know not to expect a QSL from me here (I always search eQSL and LotW to see if the contact will every respond on that site).

Maybe it's there already and I just cant find it. If so, a hint would be great.

Thanks

2. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

HuH!!? You mean that everyone is in on this logbook thing whether you use this or not? Or would I have to start using it first before i'm on? I never looked at it yet and I do a paper log like I did for 35 years.

3. K2DSL

K2DSL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you go to the User CP link in the navigation bar in the forums and then click Edit options (direct link http://forums.qrz.com/profile.php?do=editoptions might work) you can scroll down and change the "Show Logbook" and "Accept incoming Logbook Reports" options.

Hope that helps.

4. KD8GNC

KD8GNC Ham Member QRZ Page

That did it. Thanks!

5. VK2HV

VK2HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Enable/Disable the Contact Log feature for your callsign page. (Applies only to Subscribers) WHY only Subscribers

6. VK2HV

VK2HV Ham Member QRZ Page

looks like Democracy went out the window

7. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's like being skimmed by the Mob :-I ! And yes, I do know some of them!
    Oh well, I hope Simon will forgive my unfaithfulness! I think I will quit comlaining and go home... HRD here I come! This is just too much of a hassle to keep up with.

8. KG4TKC

KG4TKC Ham Member QRZ Page

W0UZR wrote:

"HuH!!? You mean that everyone is in on this logbook thing whether you use this or not? Or would I have to start using it first before i'm on? I never looked at it yet and I do a paper log like I did for 35 years."

Yes,by default everyone is in,even the non-paying members. However,by design the non-paying members have very little functionality. If you are a non-paying member you could end up with a lot of folks wanting confirmation of QSL in the logbook,and limited control in doing so. So at some point you may need to make a decision on how you wish to deal with the folks wanting confirmations from you. You can either become a paying member with the full logbook,try to wrestle with the limited functionality logbook of a non-paying member,or,do as I did after wrestling with the logbook for too many hours as a non-paying member and opt-out. In any case,these are your choices,as best as I can tell. This is not meant to be an opinion,just a list of options,as opinions are frowned on around here right now.

9. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me put something to you guys. Why are you complaining about something that is free and completely unasked for? A year ago it wasn't even an issue. This is something that QRZ gave the ham community unasked for. Apparently no good deed goes unpunished because now everybody is acting like QRZ is clubbing baby seals or something. How are you being extorted? You have exactly the same free functionality you had a year ago yet people in here are comparing QRZ to organized crime where people are maimed and killed? Jeeze, a little perspective people.

For my part I will upload my logs and the hundreds of QSOs that automagically confirm, great. Everything else I will ignore. Too much work at this point - even for a paying subscriber. Can you non-paying guys upload ADIFS? Why wouldn't you do that and let everything else go and shut the hell up? It isn't that you aren't entitled to an opinion it is that you are being judge by the reasonableness of that opinion. And from where I live the outrage isn't very reasonable.

Eric

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Web Contacts not the same as Logbook

Sorry, but QRZ offers a lot of features and with each one of them come various options.

The Web Contact Log is a feature that has nothing to do with the Logbook. It's a simple "web-QSL" that says, "Hey, I saw your web page". Anybody can leave a Contact Log, but the feature shows up only on Subscriber pages. Subscribers can opt-out of Web Contact log on the UserCP in the Forum.

The Logbook is similar except that it represents on-air QSO's and that all callsigns have a Log. Any user can opt out of the display of a Logbook by checking the appropriate option in the Forum UserCP. Note that this behavior will probably change. Note also that there is a difference between "user" and "callsign", i.e., callsigns have logbooks, not users. If a user has permission to manage a callsign then they also have permission to manage that callsign's logbook. We expect to include additional permission setting options for this in the future.

Note that even if you Opt Out of the Display of a Logbook that it may still continue to accumulate contacts!

The reason for this behavior is that all QRZ Logs are Dual Entry. In other words, if I put a contact with you into my logbook, the log entry contains your callsign and my callsign. We're not going to refuse to allow entry when the second party has indicated an opt-out because that's the logging stations' prerogative. We may, however, put up a message that says essentially that "since the contacted station has opted out, it is unlikely that this QSO will be confirmed on QRZ". The person making the entry still has the right to log it, no matter what your preferences are.

-fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.