ad: UR5CDXcom-1

Is there a way to block entire forums from appearing?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WY0M, Nov 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

And from some of the posts you have made I can see you do need this as you have no self control. You join right in and then complain about needing help from QRZ so you can help you with your self control so you don't join in.
    Maybe there needs to be a help group for some QRZ members like all the other many helpful groups like AA, NA, etc.
    John, WB0MPB

KM1H likes this.
  2. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have a while on my subscription, but I now 100% agree with what you posted.

I posted above about putting certain people on ignore. After recently seeing a number of new posts started by just a few individuals, and then having those posts turning very divisive and hateful, I now strongly feel that ignoring people is not enough.

The "Just Talking" forum, and not just the "Political" subforum, has become so venomous, and in my mind, dangerous, I no longer want anything to do with it or many of those participating in that forum. I don't want my name/call associated in anyway with so much of the hatred and misinformation being spread by those folks . Unfortunately, some of this has started to spill into some of the other forums, including this one.

I come to QRZ for enjoyment, but mostly for sharing experiences, asking questions, and providing over over 50 years of experience related to amateur radio, and over 40 years of experience as an RF/microwave engineer. For me it is about antennas, propagation, transmitters, receivers, new technology, software, rules and regulations, volunteering, etc. -- to include mentoring and friendships.

There are many wonderful folks here on QRZ, but a just few dozen people sure have poisoned the well recently. The ones I have on "ignore" seem to have little technical knowledge or operational knowledge, so they generally don't show up in most of the threads I usually read and post in.

For many years I've been an administrator and moderator on two other websites. I would have certainly opposed the political forum here. When moderators for the political forum were requested I didn't step forward, as it appeared to be both an impossible task, and possibly a personally dangerous job.

This should be a fun and informative website for amateur radio. The politics and laws that we discuss here should mostly apply to amateur radio like HOA antenna restrictions, not to hot topic political issues like immigration, gun control, etc.

I'm not sure this bell can be unrung for QRZ. I hope it can. Some steps could be taken if the QRZ ownership, management, and sponsors would take notice and neutralize this situation. I'd be willing to assist if I think the QRZ ownership and management is willing to correct this situation.

Respectfully,
    Ken
    K8KJG

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

You do realize non-paying members can see and read the "Just Talking" forum, right?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But not the cesspit that is "Just Talking: Political".... that's the point being made - the only way to not see the political posts come up in a "New Posts" search is to cancel your paid membership.

I paid a wee bit for "Life Member" so I'm not about to do that. But I also manage to miss 99% of what goes on in the cesspit of Politics

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not know that.

We need a "Just Talking BS" forum to icing the cake for Christmas.

6. W5WAY

W5WAY Subscriber QRZ Page

I went to it and marked it as read (as well as "database helpers") and then hit New Posts. So far all is peace and harmony. Kinda tedious, though, and no doubt even more so next time I hit New Posts and have to do it all over again,

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. WY0M

WY0M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe I said in my first post that I had a hard time not responding to the stupid... it hurts me to let idiots make stupid statements unchallenged, if I blocked all the idiotic political crap people posted my enjoyment of the site would be tremendously more pleasurable. The only way to do that right now is blocking the people posting, which I'm loathe to do as they often post interesting HAM RADIO related stuff, if only their political affiliation wasn't "troglodyte", alas...

(I suppose the W5WAY method works, but that's a very tedious work around for sure)

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. W5WAY

W5WAY Subscriber QRZ Page

Takes less than 30 seconds:
    Forums > choose a forum and mark it read > back button to Forums again > choose another forum & mark it read > etc. > New Posts
    Life is good :D
    Life'd be better with a script to do all that, but that'd be decadent.

WY0M and WA7PRC like this.
  9. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that doing this:

upload_2016-12-8_10-12-6.png

usually lasts just about one second - time enough for this stuff to re-appear in "New Posts".

W7UUU and WA7PRC like this.
  10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to exclude a few forums from the new posts results.

For example, no one but QRZ staff needs to see DB Help posts. I can't do anything about it, why am I assaulted with those? Same with a few other sections as noted above: FCC updates, Just Talking

WA7PRC likes this.