Is there a slower way of shipping than...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KP4SX, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps a sling shot would be more effective on several fronts?

AC8UN likes this.
  2. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like Parcel Pool.

3. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been my experience that, if a seller offers free shipping the method of shipment tends to be a "SmartPost" derivative. The exchange between the shipping service & USPS for me is Kent, WA. After about a day or so of "wallowing in the system", the package is sent to our regional distribution point (Spokane), then to our local distribution point (Pasco, WA) before finally delivered to our local PO for delivery.

Guess one gets what one pays for …

4. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cancel the order and then tell them you want the same deal but sent FedEx ground period. If not tell them to drop back 20 and punt. That Smart Post is complete BS, as I had a package sitting at my local PO and they had to wait 4 days to deliver it to my door. El Paso.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:)
    Do you have to say 'by gawd' and snap your suspenders when you tell them that?

This was just a random ebay purchase. Not worth that much increase in blood pressure :)
    However, I often order from Lowe's and have their club card whatever they call it. I get free shipping and they always use this damn FedexSmartPost and it typically takes 3-4 weeks to receive the order. I've saved a ton on shipping costs so I really can't complain much in that regard. It always sits in the black hole in Ellenwood, GA for two weeks.
    But to have some small ebay item use that route doesn't make sense.

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree with the brown trucks being at the bottom of the list. In my opinion there is nothing worse.
    John
    K4AGO

7. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like that Mr. Green Jean fella, back yonder Walter...............

I don't mind the slow boat from China (literally) if I know in advance. Dirt cheap shipping cost is usually a red flag, even from the big auction site. I scrounged up a Mcintosh MR71 tuner and there was a cabinet for this model on eblah, with the sellers over in Hong Kong. The sellers posted it right in the add that it was going to be on the slow boat from China to the USA and the shipping cost reflected that fact. The cabinet was an original piece from Binghamton, NY and it was purchased. I actually forgot about the cabinet and 1 day I came to the QTH and there it was. Packaged great by the way and survived the trip no problem. I always ask in advance about shipping times and will request FedEx ground, even if it costs a few dollars more.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Pony Express" might be slower...

But I have not had a problem with USPS or Fed/UPS, , but that is only with shipments in the U.S; several times, earlier than originally predicted. (A predicted delivery on a Monday actually was delivered on a Saturday; that may or may not be an advantage.)

9. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I detect a new mission for ARES. What if all HAM (amateur radio) related shipments be tracked by APRS? Delivery queries could be done via phone patch over echolink (ppoe) direct to the supplier. If a package was lost, late, or misdirected, the activation of a local unit would assist in communicating the location, or disposition, of said errant shipment. An NTS Radio gram would/could be sent to the inquiring originator to advise of the status.

An added bonus could be that each message, or activation participation, would earn contest points for selected on aid competitions.

10. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

YES there is.DHL Commerce is so slow it gets past by snails walking backwards. There tracking is even worse than that so waste your money & give them a try because they are Beyond Pathetic.

Clayton
    W4KVW