Is there a slower way of shipping than...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KP4SX, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FedexSmartPost ?
    Takes 20-30 days to me when regular mail would take 3 or 4. Fedex tracking number doesn't convert to the USPS tracking number.
    Is it that much cheaper than going direct?
    There's a very deep dark hole in Ellenwood, GA which seems to be the normal routing to me.

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

According to various websites, yes, FedEx SmartPost AND UPS SmartPost are relatively slower than most other delivery methods.

But... only by about 4 days on average compared to regular USPS mail. Even to PR. 20-30 days seems well beyond average.

If this is a one-time thing, something may have gone wrong. But considering that the USPS is responsible for the “last mile” delivery, I’d check with the Post Office first. I’ve known them to do some strange things.

K2CAJ and K4AGO like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably not. I once had "media mail" take something like six weeks to cover the same distance that a letter would cover in 24h, but that might have been a one-off.

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KP4SX

No
    No, its routine. When the package finally arrives I can backtrack the USPS number once it has been turned over to the USPS vs when the Fedex number says it was transferred. There's usually 10-14 days difference. Every time, never anything less. Once the parcel finally hits USPS it gets delivered as expected.
    I'm just wondering if the savings in shipping cost is worth pissing off the customers?

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that, then,

Under the circumstances, then, I’d suggest avoiding this shipping method going forward. Clearly the monetary savings, if any, are not worth the extra time involved. Not trying to be snarky, BTW. Frankly, I wouldn’t find it very acceptable either.

7. KP4SX

It ain't me, Boss. Many shippers just pop up at the end of a transaction to greet you with a FedexSmartPost tracking number. Then its too late.

K2CAJ and K5HS like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotcha. And I hate when that happens... given a preference, the trucks in brown are at the bottom of my list. But sometimes they just don’t give you a choice. Most annoying.

BTW Bill, off topic, next time you talk with Paul, tell him I said “hi”.

K4AGO likes this.
  9. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Slow here too, Bill... adds four or five days delay easily.

10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm no fan of FedExSmartPost either! The one thing done that drives me crazy is at the point when FedEx hands off the package to the local Post Office, FedEx marks the shipment as "delivered" rather than "in transit". Thus, someone such as Amazon sends out an email stating "that your order has just been delivered". This has resulted in the filing of unnecessary "lost package" claims.