Is there a plain, simple logging program that'll work with LOTW, EQSL, etc. and easy?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KD4RDS, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD4RDS

KD4RDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a plain, simple logging program that'll work with LOTW, EQSL, etc. and is easy?

While I consider myself halfway computer literate, I seem to be easily stumped/befuddled by every logging program I've looked at. That's one of the main reasons I don't use LOTW/EQSL, etc. I "think" I've gotten my certificate issue straightened out with ARRL now, but haven't had any logs to try to upload since then. Don't have a logging program I feel comfortable with either. I realize there are those that pride theirselves on being able to demystify pretty much any program out there with relative ease. I'm glad for you, but I'm NOT one of those. I need something simple and easy to learn. I'm hoping somebody can point me toward that which I'm seeking. There's entirely too doggone many smart hams/amateurs floating around for me to believe otherwise.

So...........HELP!!

Thanks

S.A. "Barney" Barnhardt
    KD4RDS

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Before people start off making recommendations, it would be helpful if you tell us which ones you have tried and why you did not like them.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As N0IU asked, which ones have you tried already?

If you're looking for a LOGBOOK, without a lot of the other stuff (fluff), you might want to look at Log4OM. It is a logbook first and foremost, with some basic CAT and DX Cluster as well. It fully supports LoTW/EQSL and others. It is in active development and works VERY well.

Dave
    K3DCW

4. NK7Z

NK7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

You might try Amature Contact Log at:
    http://www.n3fjp.com/aclog.html

I have used it for years, and it works well, is simple to use, and in general is nice... I have a review of it at:
    http://nk7z.net/review-of-n3fjps-ac-log-4/

This review also covers the previous version if you are looking for more detail.

5. KD4RDS

KD4RDS Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones that come to mind right now that I"ve tried were HRD and Log40M. With HRD there seemed to be so darned much there what with all the differing parts and the LOG40M gave me error messages. Probably was me. Don't know. Folks seem to love HRD so it must have been me. I dl'd DXKeeper this morning and am going to give it a go. We'll see......

6. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions or concerns, Barney.

Dave, AA6YQ
    aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

7. G4POP

G4POP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why did you not ask for help or join our forum Barney? We don't normally have error message problems!

Anyway I hope that you eventually find something suitable for your requirements.

Terry G4POP - Log4OM Development Team

8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not all that computer literate either, but I have been using HRD for several years with no issues at all.

If you are looking for the absolute easiest way to use LoTW, you can always use a paper log and then manually input your contacts directly into LoTW using the TQSL program. All you do is go to File and then select Create new ADIF file... and you will be presented with a box to manually enter the required information. All you need is the other station's call sign, time and date (in UTC), mode and band. Everything else is optional.

eQSL also has a manual Log Entry option as well.

With any program there is going to be a learning curve and it will take time to become familliar with the software. These programs may seem complex on the surface, but most of them automate many tasks that will make your life easier in the long run.

If I understood you post correctly, you did get HRD to work, but just did not understand how to use it? With HRD properly connected to your radio, it picks up the mode, band and frequency (which is actually optional for logging purposes) and plugs them into the log. The program also picks up the date and time from your computer and converts it to UTC. So really all I have to do is type in the other stations call sign (and any other optional information I wish to include) and then I am good to go. If you are using the DM780 digital mode module of HRD, it is even easier since all you have to do is click on a piece of text on the screen and it will plug that text into the field you select into the log. If you are not interested in the digital modes, just don't use DM780. Just because it comes with the program doesn't mean you have to use it.

Once a contact is in your log, HRD can be set up so that it is automatically sent to eQSL. With LoTW however, you have to select the entry (or entries) from your log and select the option to upload it to LoTW. You never have to actually touch the TQSL program at all.

Since you say you have your LoTW certificate, you have the hardest part out of the way!

9. K1WTF

K1WTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

While this might be a good program, it is for Mac OS X. Even though he does not say so specifically, based on the programs the OP has tried, it would appear that he is using a Windows operating system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.