Is there a modification that exists for the Yaesu FT-70D to let it listen to more frequencies?

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KJ7GQH, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ7GQH

KJ7GQH Ham Member QRZ Page

So it seems that the FT-70D out of the box can only receive frequencies between 108.000 MHz - 579.995 MHz. I have seen some other HTs that are able to listen to HF frequencies. So is the FT-70D capable of doing this if it is modified, and do any modifications exist to add this functionality? Are there tutorials online or people who will do it for you if you pay them?

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think so. The published specifications for the FT-70D indicate that its receiver is a double conversion superhet, with first IF at 47.25MHz, and 2nd IF at 450 kHz. The issue is that, since all the standard reception frequencies are well above the 1st IF, the front end, mixer and image rejection filtering are set up for down conversion, and the circuitry would likely have to be changed significantly in order to convert HF frequencies up to 47.25MHz. It's not just a matter of reprogramming an oscillator -- there's a lot of other analog circuitry that would have to be altered, and the alterations would likely make the radio incapable of receiving its original range. If you had loads of space, maybe you could arrange different filters to be switched in and out, but there's not much available space in an HT.

Several radios have modifications available to change the transmit range, because transmit range is often limited for regulatory reasons, while the circuitry may be technically capable of operating at least a bit outside its regulatory limits. But in the US, there's no regulatory reason to limit receive range, except for the old AMPS cell phone frequencies which are usually blocked. Limits on receive range often have a technical basis.

3. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Confirm the previous post 100%, there is an excellent site.
    mods.dk that have all the mods available for old and new radios. Some are just as simple as cutting the green wire.... To removing or moving a surface mount diode. However, once a radio is modified you will loose the dealer warranty, and in some cases almost guarantie to burn out the pa if used to transmitt out of band. Not to mention the legal issues of transmitting out of band. If you want to listen to other frequencies, buy a radio scanner or a radio designed to cover them. If you want a great radio that covers hf vhf uhf then there's a lot of them about, my all time favorite is the Icom IC706MK2G. With its user friendly menues, excellent sensitivity, good power outputs, excellent audio, and can be fitted with extra narrow filters, voice frequency readout, and one of the best dsp filters out there. And there are modifications on "mods.dk" including my CW keyer mic mod. so you can have a paddle cw keyer in the hand mic..