ad: ProAudio-1

Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. M0KFO

M0KFO Ham Member QRZ Page

What I love about them, is that if you open them up, there is a big slab of metal screwed into the back. This serves no other purpose that to make the mic feel heavy, and therefore make it feel like it is a quality mic.

I have a Harrier mic sitting on the floor at the back of the shack connected to a Colt 210 (AM rig), with a Maxcom 4E (UK FM rig) face plate on the front. So If the police ever stopped you, all they would see is a legal FM rig. The Harrier mic is probably the same quality as the MH-31 and not made in China.

2. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

Yes the metal plates .
    The first thing I throw out of the MH31 and MH67.
    If they fall with metal plates you will have a much bigger chance to damage them with the metal plates then without these plates

Just to give the mike a quality geel, Chinese thinking about quality.

Yes I ran my president Veep with a KP33 front so it would be seen it had 40 channels AM and FM 4 watts instead of 22 ch FM 0.5 watts
    Same could be done with the Andrew -J and the KP44
    Same could be done with the Washington and the KP77 base rig.

73 Jos

3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We can't all afford to spend thousands of dollars on a rig like you can. I am disabled and on fixed income and am very happy to have a rig like this. Yes it sucks to be pour.

John, WB0MPB

N4FFL likes this.
  4. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

A 480 does not cost thousands new (not even a grand) and it can be had for 700 or so used.... I bought mine used 6 years ago.

5. WB0MPB

Then tell us what those figs are.
    John, WB0MPB

6. WB0MPB

I played with a monkey once but that doesn't make me a zoo keeper!!
    John, WB0MPB

7. WB0MPB

But in another post you said "There may well be a day when a rig under 1000 buch will have outstanding IF DSP performance but day is not today or tomorrow"
    So which is it? You can buy a good rig under $1000.00 or not. You said a 480 can be bought new for under a grand and you also said you can't get a good rig under 1000. So which is it.

I bet I could say a word that would make you go crazy. And that is Baofeng..... I can hear you scream from here!!!

John, WB0MPB

8. WB0MPB

Good one!

9. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

BAOFENG , my son has one of the latest dual band portables, 49 Euros great HT.

And please do not beat eachother up, do not do this it doesn't look good for a ham.

You are all right , yes DSP and SDR is the future.
    But in cheap rigs DSP is used as it is cheaper not better.

Remember the Hilberling PT8000 is based on very old and very good old IF traditions with real filters and it still beats the heck out of the best DSP or SDR junk there is.

IF DSP is only used because it is cheap not because it is that good yet, it will be , but not for a few years yet.

IF DSP gives the Big3 the possiblity to cheaply connect all kind of jokes, junk, bells and whistles, like colour screens and graphs and toys.
    You are all confusing toys with quality,
    I hate to admit it and I had to pay with 2 IF DSP junk rigs to be admitting this, W8JX is a pain in the BUTT, but he is right.
    Do not beat eachother up but respect eachother in a decent and civilised dicussion, you can always say that you agree to disagree.

IF DSP and SDR is the future but for now it is only used to save money for toys.
    Are rigs like the IC7200 FT450D bad, no but they could be as good or better with old IF christal filtering.

73 Jos

KG5ILR likes this.
  10. M0KFO

M0KFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there are two sorts of people on here. One, that have owned the FT-450D and know the specs and performance of it and have spent more than 5 minutes at HRO. You will find that they have not said the FT-450D is a world beater and wins hands down against an IC-7851. They have merely said, for the money, it is a good rig. You'll notice that they have not done it by trashing other rigs.

Then you have one person who owns an TS-480SAT, and compares it to that all the time and basically trashes the FT-450D, despite having virtually zero experience. Perhaps that person wants to start his own thread up, titled 'Why the TS-480SAT is such an excellent rig'.

N4FFL and K0MTN like this.