Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7GFL

K7GFL Ham Member QRZ Page

Don’t buy anything yaesu, the best radios you can buy are made by Icom, especially the Icom IC7300. I’ve been a ham since 1958, age 15 and was a radioman in the navy for 22 years. I have used just about every radio there is out there and for the money, you will not find a radio better than an ICOM IC7300. Best wishes, Jerry Miller, k7gfl

W9FL likes this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have two Yaesu haters here. I can understand that...But these criticisms are unfounded. Check out the ARRL review of the FT-450 and FT-450D. There are no criticisms of the transmitter...none. There is a Yaesu unit that the ARRL criticized but it was not the FT-450D. It was the FT-891...a very compact 100W mobile/portable rig. You trade some things to go portable in such a small rig.
    Everyone has manufacturers they dislike for different reasons. I loved TenTec back in the 70s/80s. When I returned to Ham radio I chose an FT-450D and it meets my needs. The IC-7300 has its drawbacks...a hard to replace internal battery, a super sensitive front end and an overly complex menu driven system. FT-450D has some menu driven controls but I found them more intuitive. I looked at the FT-991 but did not need UHF/VHF on my HF rig. I've used more complex rigs but really could not justify the extra cost/size/and weight of these rigs.

KC3RN likes this.
  3. MM0LQF

MM0LQF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

> Don’t buy anything yaesu, the best radios you can buy are made by Icom, especially the Icom IC7300.

Here in the UK at least,the FT-450D is £600 and the IC-7300 is £1200.

The Icom 7300 is not *twice* as good as the Yaesu. It's more like 20% better (i.e. inbuilt USB sound card and access to VHF including 4m), at best.

The FT-450D is absolutely the best HF+6M radio you can buy in the sub-£1000 price range.

I bought mine about 9 months ago and are very very happy. If it breaks I would buy another in a heartbeat,

4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but we need to agree to disagree here. Admittedly, I've not used the 7300, but I've owned several other Icoms. My first was a 718. Frankly, it was a dog. Then I got a 7100 - also a dog, but didn't bite as hard as the 718. Currently have a 746. It's not a dog, but really doesn't perform as well as my 450D.

The 450 is certainly not the "be-all/end-all" radio, but does give really good performance for the price. Even though it's a little menu driven, I really like the way you can program several of the controls to customize to your operating preferences.

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Except for the IC-7000, and a 710 Kenwood, all my radios are Yaesu (or chinese HTs).

450D has been a solid radio, and has not had the heat issues like the 7000, and has performed well outdoors, in the Texas heat and in the cold. I prefer it over the 7000 for digital work, and it has definitely been abused once or twice.

SLOWMOVER likes this.