Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. M0SAZ

M0SAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh and an IC-703+ and a TS-590S lol

2. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am the OP, and just for the sake of closure, I'd like to explain what I ended up buying. Indeed, I did spend forever deliberating on this and then finally decided to save up my money and get a "better" (read more expensive) rig. Lo and behold, Yaesu was getting rid of it's FT-991 inventory in a fire sale last fall to make way for it's 991A. So I got a bargain on the 991 and went with that.

This is not to say that the 450D is a bad rig. I just got a lot more radio for the buck in that fire sale. That was a temporary distortion in space-time and now the 991A is selling for considerably more than the 450D.

Given the reviews of the 450D I would still consider it if I were in the market for a radio. I am convinced that all the problems were due to a bad batch way back in 2013 and now all is well.

KA8UGB likes this.
  3. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt he has any spare cash, hell he can't afford to lay ground radials under his Hustler vertical!:)
    However he is an expert on every radio that has been manufactured.

4. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Since my last post in this thread, I've added an IF tap with an SMA connector on the back panel and with an RTL-SDR connected I use HDSDR and OmniRig to get a fully functional click to tune panadapter and some really great DSP filtering. HDSDR has multiple notch filters and bandpass filters. Plus you can play the audio through some high quality computer speakers.

It has improved the FT-450D so much that it would be hard to buy a different HF radio that didn't come from the factory with an IF tap.

It's well worth the effort to add one.

KA8UGB likes this.
  5. W1GVT

W1GVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Ron, can you share details on that? Like what SMA connector and dongle you used? Thanks!

KA8UGB likes this.
  6. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I just used a panel mount female SMA connector. I drilled a hole in the back panel on the bottom left corner next to the existing data connector.

I use a Noo-Elec NESDR Smart dongle.

KA8UGB and W1GVT like this.
  7. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Classic case of over anylizing. The 450 is a very good radio. It will give no trouble, will match any decent antenna. It has a very nice receiver and very good broadcast clarity.

It filters out noise quite well allowing better than average weak signal reception for an "entry level" radio. Much better radio than a 718.

KE0EYJ, KC3RN, KA8UGB and 1 other person like this.
  8. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

IN ITS PRICE CLASS the 450/450D is a fine transceiver. It would be interesting to set beside an Icom 7300 for comparison. An extreme comparison would be the 7300 new at $1300 and a used 450(notD) at $450. Is the 7300 going to be 3 times better? To be fair, you have to connect a panadaptor system to the IF chain (would love details on this) of the 450 for screen comparison, so set that aside. Just focus on operation and audible results. Will the 7300 be 2 times better than the 450? I discounted the 7300 screen by 1 of 3 points. I would wager that the perceived difference would be in a small statistical range. Once you move into ease of adjustment and beauty, the comparison becomes too subjective. If you did the 7300 would probably win. Thus "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Somehow the beauty of money sways my final opinion.

If I had my choice, I would love to have the Icom 7300. But I also do not want my car re-possessed.
    N3HKN

9. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny I have both sitting beside each other, like em both.

10. AB9PM

AB9PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a FT DX 1200 and I love it. However I live in antenna restricted location. I go to a shop south of town where I have a ground mounted vertical. The 1200 gets heavy lugging it back and forth, so I have been considering a FT 450D. I don't know why I keep procrastinating.