ad: elecraft

Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out page 97 of the 10/16 QST. I guess these two mentioned DX excursions are wasting all that time and money taking 'cheap rigs that perform like cheap rigs'. Give it a rest. You spend your money your way, I'll spend my money my way.

KD8UEI likes this.
  2. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my FT-450D. It was my first HF radio, and it remains the most "feature rich" radio I have, the others being an 857D and an 817ND.

Sure, I would like a nicer, bigger radio with a spectrum scope and a built in USB port. But this radio was the right radio for my budget, and it is simple to operate.

To answer the question in the thread title, "good" is relative. But it has been good for me.

KA8UGB and KG5ILR like this.
  3. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

........an unctuous pat on the back.

4. GM1FLQ

But that could depend on your perspective, of course.

5. GM1FLQ

That could be a matter open for some debate. ;)

6. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

Cheap If DSP better then no DSP.

I am still in the opinion that audio DSP sometimes is better then IF DSP and even better as cheap SDR.
    If these IF DSP or SDR can not handle their task you have a big problem, you can not turn them of.
    If your AF DSP can not handle the job or couses troubles you turn it off, go on with classical filters in the rig.

Often still use my FT857D with the el cheapo AF DSP in CW RX in heavy QRM conditions.
    In these conditions the IF DSP Kenwood TS590S totally falls apart , this only happens in CW recieve do not have had these troubles at all in SSB RX with the TS590S.
    Even the IC7300 has these issues in CW recieve.

There will be a time that and IF DSP (that will dissapear very soon as it will be replaced by SDR based RX soon I think, as this will become much cheaper very fast and is much cheaper as a decent filtered classical rig) and SDR will totally outperform classical build radios with MF and filters and audio DSP etc.
    But this time has not come yet, but it will be here in the near future.

73 Jos

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been starting to play with it a bit and I've been able to clean up some signals to the point I could understand what was being said. (or at least enough where I wasn't getting a headache trying to decipher what was being said) If I didn't have it, that wouldn't have been the case.

8. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, I use a JPS NTR-1 notch/noise/bandwidth unit outboard of my FT-450D. Gets the job done FB. I tried a West Mountain DSP brick, it didn't recover from transmitting very fast. I tried several BHI DSP speakers, found I didn't like them either. Tried a Timewave DSP-9, same thing. So I used Universal Radio's web site, researched discontinued Audio Filters, and decided to try and find this JPS NTR-1. Found one, and finally, something that suits me. It can be said that the DSP on the FT-450D could be better. But for the money, it's a hell of a rig. So, give it a little help outboard, solutions are at hand.

K1SZO likes this.
  9. KA8UGB

KA8UGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Short answer - I had one - loved it
    Only thing I can say as a minor minus - internal speaker not so good - with small external - Great!
    Only reason I parted with mine was offer of New FT991

KD8UEI likes this.
  10. M0SAZ

M0SAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, I hope the OP has actually bought a radio by now. All that deliberation, one could be hit by bus tomorrow.

I run an FT-450D and have for many months now. It will be my 3rd or 4th one. A few months doesn't sound like a lot but I have owned since becoming a ham about 9 years ago at least 3 FTDX-5000MP, 1 FTDX-9000D, 3, maybe 4 FTDX-30000, many FT-2000 and FT-950 TenTec Eagle, Elecraft KX3, a few FT-991, tons of FT-817ND/857D/897D and so on. The FT-450D is an ace rig - believe me it is you will find many of the components (including the much criticised DSP chip) in other radios. They used them at T32C remember folks - come on this rig is freakin awesome. As for that encoder? Various shaft lengths of the same make and type have been used in many Yaesu rigs as main VFO on lower priced rigs or VFO-B on the big box rigs. They are a good encoder, but there was a bad batch - so what? We are in 2017 and the rig is still selling....

KX4CC, KG5ILR and KA8UGB like this.