Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't encourage him. You know it's against the rules to feed the animals.

2. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see, selectivity, noise handling, sound on receive, limited feature support and what features there are are menu dependent to name a few. The 450D reminds me a of a CB with a VFO in looks, sound and function. It has a very cheap IF DSP implementation and as such it sounds and performs like it. I would prefer a used analog rig for same money over it any day. As I said before if you never had a rig you might think it is a great rig but when you use a real radio be it a mature analog rig or one with better (more costly) IF DSP implementation you will clearly see/hear difference. But if you are a plug and play ham that basically turn a rig on and off and spins dial and want CB like easy of operation and have low expectations from your rig, you will be happy with a 450D. But do not tell me or anyone else it is a great rig because it is not because it is a cheap rig and it preforms like one.

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeebus -- what have you got against the 450D? It seems like you rear your ugly head at every mention. Give it a rest and stop pooping in everyone's Post Toasties.

4. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll give my opinion on the 450D since I started the thread. And before anyone asks, no, I don't own one.

The 450D is a good radio at it's price point. What is the competiton? The Icom IC-718? I'm not here to put down the Icom as it too is a fine radio, but it does not have six meters and you have to buy filters for it which are part of the DSP on the 450D.

The 450D has some quirks that I don't like. In particular, I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a direct entry keypad. I also am not crazy about the looks. But those are small criticisms. I'm not sure what the obsession with CBs are.

When I started the thread, I was concerned about reports of the encoder failing. That issue, apparently, was due to a bad batch and I believe the radio is reliable now.

As I said, there is nothing like it at its price point. If you have the money to afford a more expensive radio then good for you. I'm sure it will be better in most ways than the 450D. But for me, if the radio transmits and receives according to spec then that's 90% of what a radio should do.

N4FFL and K1SZO like this.
  5. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

See, this is what happens when you rattle the monkeys cage.

6. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not the only rattled cage by the looks of it then.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  7. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

He's just told you.......in summary there's no free lunch.

8. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay here's my 2 cents. I own the 450d and I like it, it is an excellent starter radio for those on a budget or even a good radio for those who just want to get on the bands until they figure out which direction they want to go in Ham Radio such as contesting, digital modes etc.
    When a new Ham reads these posts to get some advice and insight we scare the heck out of them and they tend to be even more confused than when they started.
    Instead of making a new Operator feel like he made a mistake and was stupid in his purchase we should ALL encourage him with advice on how to get the most out of the setup he has, because a 1200 $ radio is not an option for some and getting on the air should be option for everyone no matter the cost of the radio!
    And for those who just want to bitch for the sake of bitching QRZ should start a forum titled "Oh Hell the sun came up again"

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    N4FFL, KK4YPQ, KM6POA and 4 others like this.
  9. KO4CH

KO4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well here is my two cents worth since I have owned 3 Icom 718's and 3 ft450D's.
    I have also owned higher end radios like 746 pro,Yaesu ft950, yaesu 1200,MK5 field and many others and guess what.
    Now that I have been doing amateur radio for over 55 years I have come to the conclusion that the 450D is a great little radio.
    It is now my only radio and at this present time I don't plan on adding to the station.
    Buy the 450D and you will enjoy it as I do. By the way...It's not a CB rig as the other fella posted.
    Definitely head and shoulders over the 718.
    73 and good luck,
    Jerry

KX4CC, KD8UEI and KG5ILR like this.
  10. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just purchased my first HF rig. I went with the FT-450D. Why?
    • Simple to use. (I'm still learning) Complexity breeds confusion. I want to get on the air, not troubleshoot everything under the sun.
    • It comes with everything I need to get started without the need to drop lots more money on filters among other things.
    • The above is also important because if I decide that I only want this as an occasional hobby or I just end up not enjoying it. (I am an introvert) The less money I pump into it. The less money lost in the end.
    • It has a great band spectrum. More than a lot of radios in it's price range.
    • Built-in tuner. (I'm just starting out, again. I don't want a full on wallet dump)
    • It's small and portable. (this is big for me) If I really enjoy HF, I will want a portable radio to take to field days or to the Observatory (I'm also an Astronomer) Also if I really enjoy HF, I will at some point I will buy are really nice rig for my home base and make this my backup / portable HF radio.
    • Cheap IF DSP. As someone else noted. A lot better than no DSP.
    • It gets solid reviews from people that actually use the rig.
    • Finally, I looked at a few other radios. I came very close to buying some older ones that were supposed to be rock solid. Why I didn't was because I couldn't justify the price to the fellow ham warnings about replacement parts could become hard to come by.

There is a point that the choices become nitpicks. My friend purchased an IC-7200 and I got the FT-450D. Different radios with different strengths. I don't have any doubt we will both enjoy our radios unless we have some major issue with the radio itself. From what I can tell. These are solid rigs so I don't expect that to happen.

Besides, I drive a nice car now, but my first car wasn't really nice. (used Ranger pickup) Neither does my first rig need to be a luxury rig. I'm a starter HF ham, I got a starter HF rig.

N4FFL, KM6POA, M6LKL and 3 others like this.