Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow...this thread has beaten a couple of horses to death.
    I only check in to see how long the "is too...is not" can persist. 13 pages and still gong!

W0SKM likes this.
  2. W1GVT

W1GVT Ham Member QRZ Page

With him you never know. Half the time his incoherent rants are completely unreadable. The other half is dangerous due to incorrect information.

M0KFO likes this.
  3. KD0PWN

KD0PWN Ham Member QRZ Page

PETA is going to be along soon with all the beaten dead horses laying around in this thread. As someone fairly new to HF, I simply refuse to spend $1500 on a radio to learn on. For my purposes, a 450D, among several other radios would work perfectly fine. I have to wonder when the 7851 owners will come along to bash the 830 ultra magnum radio... :p

KD8UEI likes this.
  4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i like mine but after all the "bs" im still looking for reasons i cant use mem groups as the book says??

5. WD0BCT

You can use memory groups....you need to leave blank spaces before starting the next group. Groups are defined by the number of lines of entry. I can't recall how many off the top of my head. The manual spells it out. They don't mention using blank entries to complete a group. It works.

6. W9WQA

ok ,ill try again. ive been away from the 450 a while so i need to refresh my brain. got the ic 7300 and its a lot to learn but i like the 450. thanks much,,tom

7. W9WQA

i literaly stumbled into part of it but the book is not even close,no help. i need to give up the sel knob that i like to have for fr power out setting. gotta go thru menu to mem grp,on. then the fun starts. first there should be 10 groups of 50 mem spaces. i can get to most but not #3 in no way??.im trying to list the button pushes to set a freq in say mem grp 6,1,2,3,,,7.its hard to get 2 in a row!.
    im trying to write a step by step procedure because i can remember it from one to the next, i get dupes,etc.
    i know its part my brain but they did not make it ez for sure.

8. WD0BCT

I use the RTS programer...I program a number of frequencies on 80M between 1-50. Obviously I don't use all 50...maybe only 6 or 7 sequential lines. I program QRP call freq and DX call freq, W1AW CW and Phone freq, and one or two favorites such as net freq. I also name each one so that when it comes up it shows the name and not the freq. Then I skip down to line 51 and repeat for 40M. Then skip down to 101 and repeat for 20M.
    I am not sure how you would skip lines using the radio knobs. The programmer is much easier.
    The programmer works fine and I end up with groups for each of my operating bands. The manual tells you how to step thru the groups.

9. W9WQA

oh! you are not using mem grp. page 59 shows the channels when mem grp is off/on. when you go to 51, 101, you are in mem grp "off".
    i could do the same, i was just trying out stuff the book mentions as a "useable function" and i find the book just does not cover it.
    ill try the other way to see if its easier and forget mem grp since im not using this rig for on air use now anyway.
    when i start with a rig i try everything in the book to see how it works. in this case its not worth the time and effort!!.

tnx,73,,tom

10. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I'm the OP, and I can't believe that this thread is still alive and kicking after more than 1.5 years.

W8JX, I'm curious. You keep talking about the 450D lacking features. Exactly what needed features do you find lacking in the 450D? I mean, we can quibble about the performance and no doubt its performance is not on a par with a radio costing more, but exactly what needed features does the 450D lack?

You also mention that it has limited functions. What function is it lacking?