Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i like mine for what it is,a solidly built radio, for the money. tunes easier that the 7300, slower knob response.
    the 7300 is "touchy"
    still looking for answers on mem group function that i cant make work.
    cannot dial thru freqs in groups? no help so far. maybe none uses that function?

2. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it not yourself earlier talking about a TS830? not too much different to the 530.

I have reached the conclusion your a rig snob because its cheap, as for your having played the 450 against other current rigs ! if you say so.

3. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you never really used a good 830 vs a 530 either huh? 530 is a nice rig but 830 was and still is a class act and has better selectivity than 530 and it also uses RF speech processing vs AF on 530 to name a few differences.

Point is I tire of those who claim what a great rig 450 is when it is not and nothing more than a cheap entry level rig. If it was so great, no one would buy 1200, 5900's, 7300, and so on because they could save their money and get top performance for little money. You get what you pay for and with 450 that is not much.

G0KVL likes this.
  4. W1GVT

W1GVT Ham Member QRZ Page

What's an "ant stretch"?

5. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny......I got it straight away - the T and the Y key on the keyboard are adjacent to each other, slight typo slip.

There we go......fixed for you. :rolleyes:

Relax now.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  6. GM1FLQ

I've reached the conclusion a 450D owner complex of some sort has just been exposed. :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  7. M0KFO

M0KFO Ham Member QRZ Page

And we're tired of hearing someone give their opinion, repeatedly, over and over again, on a rig they have not owned or used (TX) and have had 5 minutes use in HRO. It is cheap, it is an entry level rig, but it also works well and is value for money. I'll say it again, in its price class there is nothing to beat it. Now go and start giving people reviews on rigs that you have actually owned and used. I could give you my view on Ferraris, but since I have only ever stood next to one, opened the door and had a look inside, my knowledge of how good a car it was, is on par with your knowledge on the FT-450D.

The sort of person W8JX is, is one that spent a whole two weeks on a generator thread trying to give his opinion on generators, and in particular slagging off the Honda, despite many people coming on and saying, yeah they cost a bit more, but no RF noise, a clean sinewave and they are faultless, I've had one for 'X' years and I'd buy another. Plus he tried to tell me about generators, despite me saying that I had worked for Honda (UK) for 20 years in the Power Equipment division (the bit that sells generators) as an area manager.

KX4CC, N8AFT and KD0PWN like this.
  8. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

No I call a spade a spade and do not sugar coat it or misled others in to believing a cheap entry level rig like a 450 is anything more than that, a cheap entry level limited function rig. If you want a low performance CB style Plug n Play rig for HF the 450 is that. But if you want a more than that you need to look somewhere else.

It is your argument that is indefensible because you keep trying to make a 450 walk on water when it is far from that. Stop trying to make it into something it is not. I have used/played with more rigs than I can count in 47 years of being Ham and not new to this game I know a cheap limited performance rig when I see it and I do not have to live with it a year to figure it out with a cheap limited feature rig like 450 either.

Like I said early Kenwood and Icom should just close up shop and stop making middle range and top end rigs because the 450 is so great the others are not needed. What a laugh.....

9. GM1FLQ

But on the other hand there are some Hugos and Tarquins that own Ferraris and whom have equally no........
    .........it is, and who can't drive a bargain far less the Ferrari they own.

10. M0KFO

M0KFO Ham Member QRZ Page

And you will pay a lot more, the whole point that you keep missing, is that for an entry level rig (read cheap) it is damn good, but yes, there are many , many rigs that will beat it, but not in the same price bracket.

No I don't and please back that up with a quote from one of my posts. Your argument is indefensible, because you have never owned or used the rig. Your 480sat, how are the sockets on the back, oh I forgot, they never finished it off properly and just put flying leads, quality.