Is the Yaesu FT-450D a good radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8UEI, Jan 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you guys think of the Yaesu FT-450D? I've read that many people had problems with the encoder and also that the QST review was less than favorable because the transmitter was not clean. Has Yaesu corrected these problems?

Thanks in advance.

KA8UGB likes this.
  2. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I owned 2 of them. Both were really great radios. One thing you should keep in mind. A lot of the "pro reviewers" do not think radios like the 450 can possibly be decent because they subconsciously compare them to 6000 dollar radios.

I found them to be reliable, decent reception and good transmissions. I have sold 2 or 3 of them here on QRZ. They never take longer than 5 minutes to sell. That should answer your questions. With a good antenna setup, they are as good as anything.

VK6APZ likes this.
  3. KD8UEI

Thanks so much for your reply. I've just heard more horror stories about the FT-450D than other entry-level rigs. Your post helps to counter balance those bad reviews. You also make a good point about bias in the reviews.

I wasn't thinking clearly when I entitled this thread. By "good" I mean "works good for an entry-level radio." I don't mean to compare it to much more expensive rigs.

I'm seriously thinking about this radio because the price seems right for all that you get. I'm just wondering if it is too good to be true.

4. NW2K

NW2K Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-450 family is an excellent value. Check out the associated Yahoo Group if you want more details on the encoder.

5. KD8UEI

Thanks. I looked at the Yahoo group, but it seems to me people are just telling their experiences. I'd like to know if Yaesu itself actually addressed this problem with the encoder. Basically I want assurance that it won't happen to me or is very unlikely to happen to me.

I'm also considering the Icom IC-718. It's a more basic radio and a lot less radio for the money, but it does seem to be tried and true and doesn't seem to have any systemic problems. I actually like the appearance of the Icom better, but I like the functionality of the Yaesu.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you point us to specific messages, etc... that indicate there was a wide-spread issue with the encoder? The current members on the 450D list didn't seem to have issues with their radios -- and they told you so. The only issue I am aware of was the hum / buzz that some units had due to poor grounding on the front panel. This was fixed a year or more ago and no one else has reported the issue.

My 450D plugs right along -- it's been out to field day in the Texas sun several times, as well as freezing weather, running on solar / batteries and generator with no issues. My only gripe is having to press the DSP button numerous times to get to the item I want to change. I prefer it over my IC-7000 for digital modes as it has some features that make it easier to pull in weak signals.

If you are leaning towards Icom, I'd skip over the 718 and shoot for a 7200 -- it has the rig control and digital mode stuff built-in -- all you need is a USB cable.

7. NW2K

NW2K Ham Member QRZ Page

KD8UEI: I'd like to know if Yaesu itself actually addressed this problem with the encoder.

In that case, contact Yaesu directly if you want to know their position.

8. VE3GNU

VE3GNU Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a similar inquiry to the Service Dept. of Radioworld in Toronto, ON on Sept. 18/14---and the reply was as follows:

"These issues have been addressed in the manufacturer-runs for some time now".

Nevertheless---I opted for the Icom 7200----

73---
    Ernie
    VE3GNU

9. KD8UEI

Yes, look at the eham reviews starting with the one from November 21, 2013 and going back in time. There are far too many for it to just be a few lemons. The fact that it is not mentioned in the last year or so gives me hope that the problem was addressed.

I'm not really leaning towards the Icom. At this point, it's 50/50, but given the specs it should not be this close for me. The point is that I want to buy the 450d, but I'm scared.

I will indeed contact Yaesu about this before I go to buy it.

10. KD8UEI

Thank you! That is very helpful.

KE0JRS likes this.