Is the EMP threat a hoax?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG4JYD, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was one of those planners for 28 years.

2. KA4DPO

No I meant neutrinos. The devices are designed to release a buttload (that's a scientific term) or high energy neutrinos specifically for the aforementioned purpose.

3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And I was on the point of the spear, being a nuclear weapons loading officer and qualified Tactical Coordinator who 'delivers" B-57 nuclear depth bombs with a P-3C on submarines.

4. KA4DPO

OK, Since you want to ahem, to measure the length of our careers, I was the Airborne and Special Operations Evaluator and AST Chairman for the United States Army for 18 of those 28 years I mentioned. And prior to that was responsible for C3 ( Command, Control, and Communications) systems testing, evaluation, and acquisition for ten years. I am retired now but still have friends in the business, they still call me for advice from time to time. I know that we planned for every known contingency and some unknowns that seemed outlandish. Fortune not only favors the bold but the prepared as well. We spent a tremendous amount of time and money , and did a great deal of testing and evaluation of the ability of our combat systems to withstand various NBC attacks. We spent a great deal of money and resources making sure that our critical electronic systems were hardened and protected from EM damage from nuclear attack. The threat posed by EMP is a lot more real and serious than most people on this website understand.

KL7AJ pretty much nailed it. If you are close enough to a nuclear event to suffer serious EM damage then you have much bigger fish to fry, if they aren't fried already.:eek: :D

NL7W likes this.
  5. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. The Preppers and doomsday prophets have hyped the fear and threat of EMP/nuclear attack.

-A nuclear attack is unlikely to happen out of the blue on a random day. We are not anywhere near major hostilities with any country.
    -Only one country represents a nuclear threat to the US today: North Korea.
    -NK does not have the capability to create widespread EMP effects. Think a few tens of miles around a nuclear blast, not nationwide or even statewide.
    -North Korea commits suicide if they make any type of attack against any US territory. It is illogical for them to attack the US. They may be despots and make daily threats, but they do not have a death wish. They won't attack.

Find something else to worry about, fellows! ;)

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a cartoon relevant to this sub section of the conversation but I dare not post it in the open air here. :eek: PM if curious and I will show you. :cool:

7. W7ROX

W7ROX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wanna see it!

8. W7ROX

I think it is a faulty assumption that the leader of North Korea will follow logic. We do not know if he has a death wish or not.

9. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W7ROX