ad: elecraft

Is the EMP threat a hoax?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG4JYD, Feb 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KG4JYD

KG4JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I only worry about things I can control. EMP isn't one of them .

KD8HLY, KB2SMS, KF5RRF and 5 others like this.
  3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen extreme arguments on both ends. I'm more of an empirical person and will just wait for the happening and see who was right. :)

WA7PRC and W7UUU like this.
  4. KG4JYD

KG4JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you can protect against an EMP though. There are inexpensive ways of doing that.

5. W4IOA

Yes there is, do what you feel is right. EMP happens and radio is my last concern.

KB2SMS, W4RAV, NL7W and 2 others like this.
  6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd place a little more credibility on this paper written by three people with relevant PhDs

https://www.ferc.gov/industries/electric/indus-act/reliability/cybersecurity/ferc_meta-r-320.pdf

than I would on a book written by a guy who used to be a "Supervisory Special Agent for the DEA".

I haven't read it all but from the appendix at the end:

1962 experience: Some point to the Starfish event, and the rather minor HEMP effects
    produced at Hawaii by it. However, there are many problems with extrapolating that
    experience:

1. That was about half a century ago. Since then the use of electronics has increased
    greatly, and the type of sensitive electronics we currently use did not really exist
    back then.

2. The burst was fairly far away from Hawaii, and the incident E1 HEMP was much
    less than worse case.

3. The island is small – if over the continental U.S., long transmission lines would
    be exposed (especially an issue for late-time HEMP). In addition, widely
    separated substations would have been exposed, although with electromechanical
    relays (not solid state).

Also the yield argument has been used – Starfish was a very big weapon, yet it did very
    little – see the previous item, yield is not really very significant.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    K3ALE and N2EY like this.
  7. W4IOA

Tin_foil_hat_2.png
    Okay, I'm ready

W9JEF, W7ROX, KB2SMS and 6 others like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Really! A huge area gets leveled by an atomic blast and you're going to fret about EMP if the radio has melted into blob and you have somehow survived?

The last thing I thought about with Maria passing was 'is my radio ok?'. I was much more worried about my house and my personal safety!

N2EY, WA7PRC, W4IOA and 2 others like this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

catintinfoil.jpg

Fluffy knows!

WA8FOZ, W7ROX, KF5RRF and 3 others like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

/thread

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO likes this.