ad: M2Ant-1

Is the Baofeng GT-5R, the radio we wanted all along?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE1JMB, Apr 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

With ham gear getting more expensive day by day , I done reckon I could trade my 5 Baofengs for one FT-991A

2. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

My use of HTs is pretty much limited to special events like bike rides, Iron man, marathons, fun runs and such. I have a 14 year old Yaseu FT 60 and two Baofengs I’ve had for several years. They all work and are able to key the local repeaters. The most important thing is net control is able to understand me no matter which one I’m using. When I’m net control everyone pretty much sounds the same. Since everyone is going through a repeater they all sound the same. No way for me or anyone else to tell if it’s a $30.00 Beofeng or a $300.00 Icom HT.

Bottom line if you want a Beofeng get one if you don’t want or like them buy another brand. Reminds me of the radio snob I’ve talked with on my Icom 7000 a few years ago. Everything was going good until he asked me what kind of radio I was using. I told him and he proceeded to tell me how bad my signal was because a 7000 being an HF, VHF, UHF was a piece of compromised junk. Now I just tell anyone that ask I’m use a brand new Hilberling. :)

K2XT and WD4IGX like this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sure you can.

If you can find a dang fool, of course...

WD4IGX and KE0GXN like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On HF, very safe.

Use the radiation hazard calculators. You can run 100W output on 80m about six inches from an antenna and find it falls below the hazard level.

KY4GD and WD4IGX like this.
  5. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope its under $35 dollars.....we all know what an insurmountable burden “hobby killer” that can be...:rolleyes:

WZ7U likes this.
  6. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

According to the Hagerty web site, between $170K and $240K. That's probably based on auction prices.

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 1968 and 69 models average between a hundred and a hundred and fifty K depending on a number of factors. I drove a 69 model, it was pretty fast for then. The biggest limiting factor on the older muscle cars was tire technology. The old glass belted radials would spin till the cows came home before they got any traction. And it's just a well, the 428 had enough torque to tear up the drive line if it got too much grip.

8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There’s probably already a “Marsmod” for it.

9. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

For the Baofeng, or the Shelby? :)

10. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I definitely got your point. I wouldn't call that abrasive. I admit that when I see "HAM," I don't necessarily dismiss what is said, but I realize it's a Nate Newbie statement of some sort, and consider it appropriately.

As for the edit thing, I'm not sure, but I think once someone has responded to your post, you can't edit it anymore. That's my guess.

WD4IGX likes this.