ad: elecraft

Is the Baofeng GT-5R, the radio we wanted all along?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE1JMB, Apr 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

How safe is it to carry a 20w HF transmitter? I have actually wondered that before, like, at what point do HTs become less than safe?

K0UO likes this.
  2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But for many of us radio is not about "performance."

I prefer old radios because I do radio for fun, and I find them more fun. I don't care about "performance" one bit.

Now cars, if I'm going to work or somewhere I need to go, and need to take stuff with me or get stuff, all that matters, as do things like comfort and a good sound system. But if I were rich enough to play with additional cars as toys those would be older cars too.

3. WD4IGX

I went back to edit this into something less abrasive because I realized I was being abrasive and - the edit link seems to be gone.

Can we no longer edit our posts?

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perfectly safe...well...unless you drop it on your foot. ;)

WD4IGX and KY4GD like this.
  5. WD4IGX

Well it depends. How safe is safe enough, for example? It would be relatively easy to do the field strength calculations if one is interested in such.

I spent years working at the base of a 30kw TV transmitter on 48 hour sleep over shifts, in an environment so "RF rich" you could touch the end of a fluorescent tube to almost any conductive surface and it would light up at least some. And that was at VFH. I personally would not worry at all about 20W on HF, but that's me. Some people, heck most people from what I see, are more risk averse and/or evaluate risks quite differently than I do.

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the time limit is 30 minutes after the initial post.

K0UO likes this.
  7. WD4IGX

I'm pretty sure it hadn't been nearly that long though.

I do see the edit button on other posts so I'm really baffled. Let's see if it's on this one after I click "post reply."

8. WD4IGX

Nope - no edit link. No "like" for my own post either though to be fair I've never noticed if that's there on others or not. (I use liking my own posts on Facebook just to drive the algorithm so my friends are more likely to see posts if there's something I want seen but don't want to tag a bunch of people. No such use for it here so even if you can, I never have, or tried, or thought of it.)

9. KY4GD

Thanks, "subjective" is what I expected. I had read claims back and forth, and had a question mark over the subject.

But *any* 5G is lethal though, right?

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. KY4GD

Hmm, my smily didn't show up and there is no Edit, so just know that 5G remark was intentionally silly...

WD4IGX likes this.