Is Ten Tec dead and buried, or still on life support?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just like this thread ..Ten Tec's not dead.
    Do you wish illness upon them?
    Are you filled with hate?
    May this thread go first........

N2EY, K1ZJH and WZ7U like this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise! Gowww-lee!

3. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ask bct

4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel a terrific flogging coming soon. It won't be pretty.

6. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd rather chew on aluminum foil than ask about Ten Tec! You know whats coming next!

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hardly. This was the bump and run master EY. Started @ post 110.

8. N0FN

N0FN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that they are a big hit because they are exquisitely engineered to deliver a delightful product at a fantastic value. See more details about the high quality engineering done by Hans Summers here: http://qrp-labs.com/dayton2018.html#fdim. No one else is making anything else so inexpensive and feature-filled because no one else has done the work to combine frequency synthesis and microcontrollers quite as well as Hans.

These are great product ideas, but they pose the same question: who is going to to do the inspired and/or expensive engineering work to design these radios to be able to deliver a product that fills a niche at an affordable price? The K2 is such a tremendous radio because of Wayne and Eric's combination of engineering skill and understanding of the needs of QRP operators. And it's still for sale, will TenTec's imaginary contribution be substantively better so consumers in that niche will choose it over a K2?

Amplifier manufacturers aren't taking unreasonable profits on their designs. The market is competitive enough that if someone was taking substantial margins above the costs of production, then another manufacturer could come in with a similar design at a lower cost and win the market. That means that "a ceramic-metal tube amp that didn't cost the earth" can only come from a real engineering improvement that provides performance from lower cost components and manufacturing. Where is a revolution (even a small one) in tube amplifier design going to come from?

Plug-in rigs are an interesting idea, but they were possible/dominant in the PC market because of serious engineering to make interoperable interface busses (ISA, PCI, SATA, etc.) that enabled a robust third-party component market. For something similar to happen in ham radio, there would have to be a similar engineering effort to design and standardize interfaces that could sustain third-party components. Without standardization, the best we could hope for is something like the plug-in filter market where INRAD and others make products to interface with particular radios.

I do think that there are niche gaps in the ham radio market where demand exists for a product that is not currently being produced. The ONLY RELEVANT question for TenTec's survival is whether they can succeed at designing those particular products in a way that fills those gaps at a price that particular niche market will bear. All TenTec fans including me should be hoping and praying that Mike and his engineering staff can succeed at the real work of designing products that hams will buy at prices that make the company profitable.

9. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't make derelicts my hero is what started it, and so much for being able to take it Mr. Teflon skin.

10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then don't bring derelicts to the table....

WZ7U likes this.