ad: Snaptekk-1

Is Ten Tec dead and buried, or still on life support?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something like the Ten Tec Scout:rolleyes:

download.jpeg

WG7X, W5BIB, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  2. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How about the Eagle? What did that rig cost new almost 2 grand? How much more radio could you get then for almost two thousand dollars? Not a flag ship rig granted, but from a shopping perspective, it seems like you could have gotten more bang for your buck with other brands.

For Ten Tec's sake I hope there is enough of a market who will pay the premium price for their product. I don't mean to come across as bashing them, I really hope they make it. I'm just thinking from a consumer perspective.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose that works for telemarketers as well.:D

4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Scout worked well and was a darn fine minimalists' rig.

K3XR, K1FBI, WD0BCT and 1 other person like this.
  5. N0JI

N0JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Second (or third) that on the Scout. Nice little CW machine. Make the modules smaller, give them some kind of nifty storage, and make the current and voltage requirements suitable for battery operation and you'd really have something. I guess these days it should have some kind of a computer connection to do whatever it is that people do with computers attached to radios.

6. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed!
    I think an updated, multiband Scout at 50-Watts RF output would sell. It doesn't need to be fancy, just work well. Perhaps it could incorporate the latest excellent Eagle or Argonaut receiver technology, incorporate a USB-B jack for control and audio, to include your mentions. It should also include excellent amplifier keying and ALC circuitry that devoid of the initial RF pulses seen in some recent rigs. Most amps today don't require more than 50-Watts drive anyway. In essence, it should incorporate features that make it portable or mobile for field use, yet versatile enough that it could be used as a base station during those days at home. The 50-Watt level seems perfect for these reqs.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm a minimalist, perhaps Luddite, but if radio requires a computer in order to use it I find myself not interested.

In my mind computers perform boring tasks in my life in a time savings manner. Racking up a bunch of digital QSOs may be fun for the computer. I have never employed computers for fun and am too old to start now.

Minimalist or Luddite? I can take the ridicule.

WD4IGX and KA4DPO like this.
  8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  9. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you related to Ted Kaczynski by chance?