ad: wmr-1

Is something wrong with the new Flex (6400/6600)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BG, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've played around with SDR after watching an Anan rig at a club demonstration of portable rigs and antennas. It was an impressive rig but after playing with SDR rigs for a while I deduced they were great for people who liked visual displays more than radio. And that's fine but I've spent so much time in front of analog rigs that I found the displays and required computer interface distracting. You end up watching radio rather than listening to radio. I have the same feeling about digital modes. I'm not bad mouthing the technology just explaining why I prefer analog. It may be a fossilized view, but unfortunately, I'm a fossil.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I got rid of all my Flex
    and went to multiple 7610 Icoms, two IC 7610s are about the same price as a loaded out Flex!

WD0BCT likes this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold my 6400M and went back to a 7300, no bugs, comes on in less than 70 seconds, noise limiter works, AM sounds clearer, doesn't crash, S-meter doesn't sit at S-7 with a dummy load and I don't listen to Flex fanboys

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2020
    WD4ELG, K0UO and W4NNF like this.
  4. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had my 6600 for a month and really like it. (also have a 7300 which is a fine radio for the money). So far there's only 1 thing that I attribute to a software bug, and that's an occasional thing where the audio from my PC stops making it to TX. A simple reboot of the Flex fixes it. My 6600 takes on average 77 seconds to start from being powered off.

5. K1OIK

My Icom 7300 takes 5 seconds to start. I don't need a computer (two points of failure) to operate it and wait until you have it two years, you will find out how great Flex customer service is, because there is such a need for it, they have perfected it because they have so much practice.

KA4DPO and K0UO like this.
  6. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad that you have something that suits the way you operate and meets your expectations.

I frequently operate using digital modes and also use computerized logging, so I would rarely be using my radio without a computer. I have a second laptop computer that's also configured for using the Flex 6600 and could be used if my primary computer has a problem. I've kept my Icom 7300 as a backup in the event the Flex ever needs to be sent in for service.

N3AWS likes this.
  7. K1OIK

Wise choice keeping a backup for a Flex. I usually shy away from backups but you could be many weeks without your Flex. I think N6PAT sent his in 5 times at great cost in shipping.

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have told the Dayton story about the Flex guys and the IC-7300 many times over. Not being a computer guy I probably would not have much success with a Flex radio, but the Dayton thing sealed the deal. Because of that one thing, I will never buy a product from them.

9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John KA4DPO:

I have read your account of the Dayton incident many times and I agree that it was unprofessional--one doesn't compare one company's entry level rig against another's top of the line which sells at a much higher price point.

But this seems to me to have been a snap decision from whoever was working the FLEX booth at the time. I seriously doubt FLEX orchestrated this as a corporate strategy. Can you supply the callsigns of the FLEX booth staff that did this? If it was corporate execs then, yes, this stinks to high heaven. If it was underlings acting on impulse to increase their sales, well, in my mind that is different and on those individuals.

Also, I would expect any ham looking to invest in a high dollar rig to have the wisdom to recognize the unfair comparison and act accordingly.

Regardless, FLEX likely suffered greatly in this sad episode.

Jim N3AWS

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It just told me something about the company culture that didn't sit well with me. It made me wonder if they respected anyone, even the customers.

N3AWS likes this.