Is something wrong with the new Flex (6400/6600)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BG, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think the Flex is a good fit for me. Not that it isn't good for someone else, but I just don't like messing with computers and software all that much, which leads me to favor Icom over Flex.

I am still toying with the idea of getting an IC-7610, but the display issue keeps popping up and it worries me a little. Some say they have never experience the problem, while others say they had it happen very soon after getting the rig.

So I am still looking, and the more I hear about the new Kenwood, the better it looks. While I am partial to Icom, I have owned a lot of really good Kenwood radios over the years as well, and the quality has always been very good. Putting everything in perspective, I am not a contester, and only an occasional DXer so I really don't need dual receivers. The TS-890 is getting excellent reviews across the board, and according to all who have one, it has the legendary Kenwood feel of quality.

WD4ELG, N3AWS, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  2. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not wanting to re-kindle the Ten Tec Wars, but I agree--don't hold your breath.

Maybe Mike will get them back in the game. EVENTUALLY. Won't happen soon, though.

If the best they could do was a bit more than a dozen minimally improved Omni 7's.... Well, I guess we'll see what they roll out at Dayton, but, heck, let's face it--It took forever for those few rigs to sell. And the technology is a decade or more old, and was lower tier back then...

I guess their best bet would be an upgraded Orion, but it would have to be very, very good and CHEAP for them to have a glimmer of hope in today's marketplace.

W4NNF likes this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't want to deal with software crashes, 90 seconds to boot up, software that blue screens your computer and other assorted bugs, remote operation that is a crap shoot, owners that look down on ordinary rigs, S-meters that read S-7 with no antenna or a dummy load, well there is salvation the Elecraft K4.

K0UO, KA4DPO and WD4ELG like this.
  4. N8UE

N8UE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never had any such problems with my Flex rigs. Once set up they were up and running never a problem. Mostly user errors. Don't have one anymore but always want it back.

5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, she didn’t. Sadly, she achieved room temperature long before Flex came on the market.

6. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh heck, sounds like a Compaq computer, after HP absorbed the company...

7. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something wrong? Yes! When I got my 6400, there were absolutely NO KNOBS on the front panel, aside from the off/on doo-hickey. I called customer support about this several times but the phone attendant just laughed and hung up on me. Is that something I can take up with ARRL or FCC so I can get a refund?? One guy even said "ok boomer" and what does that even mean??? So disappointed!

[​IMG]

N0EG, K1OIK, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When is the 6700 replacement coming out? I been hearing there is one.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gee....why do you think that happens?
    I must say that every Apple device I've purchased to replace a PC, smart phone, mp3 player or tablet has been more reliable than it's predecessor. I gravitated to Apple for a reason other than it's name for sure.
    I'll never forget Verizon telling me the only way to get my LG Google phone to work reliably as a phone was to purchase the next model which was released a year after mine. Apple products have been the most reliable I've ever used. Until that changes I'll stay with them.

1 person likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps one can't see the forest because of the trees?