ad: Correctmanual-1

Is something wrong with the new Flex (6400/6600)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BG, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Over 10k? Wow! There must be more active hams than I suspected.

Fascinating that there's enough market to drive third party software supply.

2. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

It has Flex on it?

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.ke9ns.com/flexpage.html PowerSDR enhancements for the 1500, 3k and 5k. I still have, and use, the Flex 1000 I built one board at a time as Gerald released them.

I don't know which is worse, the Flex haters or the fanbois. Over in the eham forums "lazysenior" is absolutely rabid in his hatred of Flex even after the company bent over backwards to please him.
    Me, I'm just a happy user that can function without a front panel :)

NY7Q and W0VRA like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah except the Jupiter was not an SDR. It was an analog radio with DSP. They called it SDR but it never really was.

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten Tec will argue differently. Hey it was 12 years ago.....light years away

6. K6BBC

K6BBC Senior Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

My Flex 6400 seems to work fine. I like the "server" concept - found it very innovative.

I always like to support American manufactures when I can.

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They can argue all they want but the Pegasus and the Jupiter were computer controlled transceivers with an analog front end followed by an IF mixer and DSP. The Pegasus and Jupiter were sort of a poor mans RX-331 but with less control and interface capability. They were software definable in the sense that DSP functions could be modified if you had the source code, which Ten Tec did not share since it was proprietary. Admittedly, they were revolutionary in the ham radio market at the time but, they were not software defined.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’trecall Ten Tec calling the Pegasus/Jupiter an SDR at the time. It certainly isn’t one by today’s standards.

Which is not by any means a put-down of the rig(s), it was fantastic for it’s time. They simply are not what the are not.