Is something wrong with the new Flex (6400/6600)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1BG, May 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There were some things they could review adequately. But stuff like computers and cameras? Forget it. Anyway, I think their magazine is in a death spiral.

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I, too, find Consumer Reports not the greatest of reviewers...and I subscribe to their paper rag and online database.

What's really telling is the Editor's reviews and users' reviews--they're often nearly diametrically opposite of each other, i.e., an Editor will give a product high marks whereas owners/users of the same product will rate it poorly; more times than not I go with users' reviews because I've found them to be more accurate.

K1SZO likes this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked at the numbers across the board and the only thing that put the Flex 6600M in the slot that it is in is the close spaced dynamic range. In terms of wide spaced dynamic range, the IC-7300 is better and for all other specifications the IC-7610 is quite a bit better. In fact, if not for close spaced dynamic range, the IC-7300 is a better receiver. Obviously it doesn't have near the bells and whistles that the Flex has, but it is reliable and does not need any hardware changes to make it work.

So using your logic about positions 3,4,5, and 11 it looks like the IC-7610 should surpass the Flex 6600M in all but the one db difference in dynamic range. Frankly I think the 6600 an 6400M projects were hurried through development in order to compete with other companies. Flex needs to take a lot more time operationally testing their products before they drop them on the consumers desks.

KR3DX likes this.
  4. AJ2I

AJ2I Ham Member QRZ Page

The 6400/6600 Non-M have a heatsink issue. Flex is doing a recall

KV5J likes this.
  5. W8QB

W8QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are old from the very first production run . Icom fixed that problem last year. I also have not seen similar comments on the US site.

The problem with the Flex 6400 and 6600 is more than just the heatsink. There is a mod involving the RF preamp that has to be performed by Flex, and may or may not resolve the RMDR issue. Even though the RMDR is already as good as the Icom IC-7300, they would, understandably, like to improve it.

7. W8QB

My 6400M underwent the simple PEN upgrade and has no issue whatsoever. Replacement of the heat sink is trivial to accomplish, so much so that Flex owners have the option of ordering the heat sink kit and installing it themselves, which is a roughly 10 minute task. When was the "first production run" for the IC-7610, late 2017, correct?

How long have the new Flex radios been in production? Roughly 3 months only. So if you are willing to give the benefit of a doubt to Icom's "first production run", the same fairness needs to apply to Flex's "first production run." And to my knowledge, all of the Flex radios currently rolling off the assembly line do NOT have the issues associated with the PEN upgrade.

8. KV5J

KV5J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At least now your 6400M should make it into the top 20.

9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just looking at propane generator for my house since I was already putting in a propane stove. (currently all electric and no gas in the area) They highly recommend a Kohler generator, yet all the users say they break rather quickly and are ungodly expensive to have repaired.

Go figure.

W1TRY likes this.
  10. W8QB

Actually, it likely will be just one step below the similarly designed 6600M, which is three spots above the 7610.