Is SO-50 Okay?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KR0SIV, Dec 13, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AK4PX

AK4PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes please donate to Fox-1, we gladly accept all donations lol.

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

And thanks for the QSO yesterday (Sunday, 16 February) morning when I was in DM32 along I-8! That was another pass with good coast-to-coast activity.

Agreed! Looking forward to Fox-1, and any other satellites with FM or SSB/CW transponders we can use.....

73!

3. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a good pass. I'm enjoying your videos from the Yuma hamfest.

4. WD9EWK

Here's a video clip of that SO-50 pass on Saturday (15 February) morning:

[video=youtube;8eHOGcrUVWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eHOGcrUVWM[/video]

Yes!

5. W5PFG

I've worked W1AW/7 twice today, once on two different SO-50 passes. John K8YSE was the operator at the time. Very strong signal, 5-9 report, from DM43 (I'm at home in EM21.)

6. WD9EWK

Glad you were able to get SO-50 QSOs with W1AW/7. That makes at least 3 satellites you've worked W1AW/7 on, since you returned home. Are you trying for the 5-satellite sweep like AC0RA did, after his AO-73 QSO last night? :)

I'm thankful we at least had the late-morning SO-50 passes for W1AW/7 to work. The very late-evening (Arizona time) SO-50 passes have not been productive, with only one QSO logged on Saturday night (XF1T, an island expedition off the Mexican Pacific coast). This is understandable, considering that those late passes are after 2am Eastern time. John K8YSE has been a machine, working passes and making QSOs - including the weekday SO-50 passes - using his Arizona station. He and I have coordinated on the late afternoon/early evening passes, along with some weekend passes, so we could get W1AW/7 on as many passes as possible. Knowing that John is a very experienced DXer on HF, and has worked to the top of the grid count for the satellite VUCC award over the past few years (without using any HEO satellites!), it's no surprise he's up to the challenge of putting the special call on the satellites during the past week.

73!

7. K5KDT

K5KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I only got him once, also on Sunday - same IO antenna for receive but using a car mount antenna for transmit - I didn't get a signal report from him (he was 5-9 to me), maybe I'll email and ask :)

Seeing the callsign, I see now that I worked him a month or so ago also, but not as W1AW/7

8. W5PFG

Well, John has called me on several passes when there was nobody else around. I didn't exactly seek him out...But when there are 2-3 people on the pass, SO-50 is a little more laid back. Often on far-western passes over California I won't hear but 2-3 stations versus an Eastern-US pass where there might be 10-15 stations. This morning on SO-50 over Southern California there were 3 stations, plus W1AW/7 in AZ, and me.

The ioIO and car mount antenna working well for you? I have used a similar configuration for years with much success.

9. WD9EWK

I think you worked me as W1AW/7 on an SO-50 pass Sunday. I was working most passes as W1AW/7 on Sunday between 1300 and 0400 UTC, including a couple of SO-50 passes in the late morning. I may have forgotten to say "59", but everyone is getting that as a signal report (along with the grid, DM43 - John and I are both in the same grid) per our guidelines for working as W1AW/7. Makes logging simpler.

I haven't worked you as WD9EWK yet, so maybe we can fix that sometime soon. ;) It was fun to get on all those passes, on SO-50 and the other satellites, using the W1AW/7 call.

I should get John's W1AW/7 log tonight, and also get my log ready to go to the coordinator for the Arizona W1AW/7 activity shortly after that. I'll make sure to compile some stats, as we have put in a lot of time to keep W1AW/7 available on the satellites.

73!

10. W5PFG

I made several recordings of AC0RA operating mobile on his grid trip a few weeks ago.

Here's a link to a blog posting of mine with one of those recordings:

http://www.w5pfg.us/2014/04/ac0ram-en00-en01-recording-on-so-50.html

This particular recording was made of SO-50 during an evening pass. For people chasing grids on satellite, EN00 and EN01 are seldom heard. I've yet to come across anyone operating satellites from those grids in a fixed/home station.

Clayton
    W5PFG