Is SO-50 Okay?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KR0SIV, Dec 13, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rules #1 and #5 of Dodgeball apply.

2. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W5PFG BLOG>> ... SO-50 was launched in 2001 ...

Could you please edit that so that it reads "2002?" Thanks.

W5PFG BLOG>> ... There are not a lot of technical details published on this satellite.

There sure are! Start with the headlines on today's QRZ.com home page,
    and watch for even more coming soon!

3. W5PFG

"Desperation" is a stinky cologne.

I made the edit.

I'm glad you're visiting my website. Maybe you will learn more about operating satellites. Heard that before somewhere?

4. AC0RA

AC0RA Ham Member QRZ Page

Who cares what is on w5pfg blog. What we want is the info you claim to have or at least know about concerning so-50 and its batteries. That's all we have asked and you just keep dodging it by bringing up other stuff that really is irrelevant.

5. K6LCS

>> ,,, Who cares what is on w5pfg blog ...

We should all desire accuracy of the information posted. Glad it was corrected.

Take me, for example. I posted the fact that I received a couple reports of degraded RX signals from SO-50 when she was in total darkness. That is a fact: I received those reception reports. Others have stated that they have worked SO-50 perfectly well in total eclipse. Which is contrary to what I received. Another ham cites a couple of "user error" scenarios that could explain what I had received. That is great. That is trading information - for the betterment of the hobby. And that just might "explain away" what I had read earlier.

>> ... What we want is the info you claim to have or at least know about concerning so-50 and its batteries.

Here ya go - listen up, I am not gonna repeat this for you: SO-50's batteries and solar charging system is 11 years old. Believe that that system is near 100 percent the capability that was launched 11 years ago? Then you have some studying to do.

That's it. I have absolutely nothing else to give you at this time. Sorry to disappoint you. SO-50 is working great in daylight. It is working great in eclipse, per all the reception reports. That's it, folks! What CAN add to the legacy of SO-50 is a "status report" from the Saudis. THAT would be something to write about. But I have absolutely nothing to give you right now. Saudi presentations on power systems on their birds is on the 'Net for anyone interested.

And again, if you'd like to learn more about SO-50, there's some tidbits on the home page here at QRZ.com ... At least one satellite aficionado is promoting the project this week - its eleventh anniversary of launch.

And so it goes ...

Screen shot 2013-12-18 at 8.39.58 PM.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  6. W5PFG

Frankly, I doubt anyone is disappointed or surprised. This whole 'silliness' would have ended days ago if you'd just stated this in the first place instead of insinuating you have some presentation about batteries from your pal the doctor.

Most likely, the readers of this thread have probably used a search engine to find said presentations. However, if you read them closely you will find they have some detail on SaudiSat 1A and 1B - very little on 1C.

These same tidbits have been posted elsewhere for years. I'm tickled some aficionado is singing happy birthday to an inanimate object. Thank goodness music isn't permitted in the amateur service.

7. K6LCS

A friend sent me this this week ...

===========================================
    Hello Clint,

Other people's expectations of you are boring.

So ... ignore them, unless they are what you want too. You are in the best position
    to KNOW exactly what you want and to GET exactly what you want. Put all your
    attention on that and there's no way you'll have any energy left to even bother with
    other people's nonsense. You'll be too busy enjoying the high life. You are an
    outstanding person.

Sometimes, Clint, it's okay to make it all about you.
    ====================================================

Profoundly appropriate ...

Merry Christmas, all!

Clint Bradford

8. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it WAS only sometimes...

Dave-KB1PVH

9. W5PFG

Merry Christmas, Clint.

Santa was going to deliver LituanicaSAT-1 to the ISS but that'll just have to wait until January.

10. W5PFG

SO-50 is still working great - day or night! I worked Patrick WD9EWK this morning while he was operating at the Yuma, AZ hamfest.

The bird sounded great with lots of activity from across the continental US on the pass I worked.

Good thing we have that one FM satellite to work. It serves as a great entry point for people interested in satellites.

AMSAT's FOX project will help us get a few more FM transponder satellites in the air. Support FOX ! Donate using button on http://www.amsat.org