Is SO-50 Okay?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KR0SIV, Dec 13, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7KUH

KB7KUH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I will give that a try.

2. KE0YDZ

KE0YDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If I can hear the sat, do I still need to do 74.4 first then switch back to 67 to make contact? I been trying to make contact on this bird for almost a year now and haven't had any luck making contact. No problem picking up signal, just no contact.
    Thanks.

3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you hear the SO-50 downlink, you won't need to send the 74.4 Hz tone with your uplink. Just use the 67.0 Hz tone, so the satellite will retransmit you. Since SO-50 operates on a 10-minute timer, you may need to use the 74.4 Hz tone at some point in the pass to restart the 10-minute timer, then go back to using a 67.0 Hz tone to talk through the satellite.

73!

WE4B likes this.
  4. KE0YDZ

KE0YDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Patrick. We,ve QSO,d a couple times but not on SO-50. I'll keep giving it a shot. The bird has me determined to make contact on it. Hopefully we can QSO on here!

73 Steve

WE4B and WD9EWK like this.
  5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we have worked on AO-91 and AO-92.

SO-50 has a downlink that is weaker than the other FM satellites. Being able to hear the downlink is always key to working satellites, and SO-50 is a good way to find any shortcomings in your receive setup. If you're able to hear it, that's more than half the battle.

Good luck, and 73!

KA2CZU and WE4B like this.
  6. YL3GU

YL3GU Ham Member QRZ Page

About a month ago I tried the satellite in the end of a night, but received no downlink (I have a duplex setup), I am aware of the timer and apropriate tone, maybe it was the moment of the abrupt downlink frequency change, I don't know. On daylight passes all is well, almost 19 years from the launch!

Marc

7. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s still working quite well at night regardless of what was mentioned, early on, in this thread.

YL3GU likes this.