ad: qroparts

Is SO-50 Okay?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KR0SIV, Dec 13, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve done it this way lots of times when I’m out and about without my Arrow and D7. You just have to be respectful of stations since you are handicapped. I don’t do it everyday but sometimes it’s fun :)

KA2CZU and W5PFG like this.
  2. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^ Wise words. ^^^

WE4B likes this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, definitely don’t try this unless you have experience under your belt. You will be frustrated and QRM stations that have the proper equipment. I mainly did it this time just to see how well SO-50 was still hearing.

I can confirm that SO-50 is doing quite well.

W5PFG likes this.
  4. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

SO-50 has been a reliable FM satellite, day and night, for some of my recent trips. I guess that sometimes nonexistent presentations about SO-50's battery life are wrong.

WD9EWK and NJ4Y like this.
  5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

SO-50 remains a reliable satellite, day and night. On my most-recent trip through Ontario and 5 US states, I worked many late evening passes. In Ontario, I was on those dark passes for a few passes - from near Windsor/Detroit in EN82, in the Toronto area on the FN03/FN04 line, from FN14 near Trenton (east of Toronto), and in FN24 north of upstate New York. SO-50 was there, and there were lots of contacts being made. I was working west-coast passes during each of these stops, and it was nice to work those stations while on this trip.

73!

W5PFG likes this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I can confirm this. My daughter and I were in a parking lot in EM79 last Friday night with WD9EWK as he worked SO-50 and we worked AO-92. It was around 10:00 PM and dark but SO-50 yielded WD9EWK several contacts from a parking lot in Cincinnati.

KA2CZU, W5PFG and WD9EWK like this.