Is SO-50 Okay?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KR0SIV, Dec 13, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Tough pass to work, lots of strange dead key type noise.

WE4B likes this.
  2. W9EXP

W9EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems the children are playing with their new toys and don't know how to use them like adults.

W5PFG, WE4B and K3RLD like this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe W4AQT can teach them ;)

WD9EWK and K4BAD like this.
  4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

SO-50 is still working fine at night. I worked a pass around 0430 UTC last night (9.30pm local time), when KI5BEX was on from the DM27/DM28 grid line in eastern Nevada. That was the first time I ever worked grid DM28.

73!

W5PFG, KA2CZU, WE4B and 1 other person like this.
  5. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Saw some tweets about people working SO-50 today!

W5PFG and WD9EWK like this.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard satellites being called birds but they tweet too?

7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

During a meeting last night of the Thunderbird Amateur Radio Club in Phoenix, I gave a demonstration of SO-50 around 8pm (0300 UTC). The satellite sounded good, and stations were heard from Washington state across to Florida in the continental USA, along with other stations from Canada and Mexico. I had a crowd of about 60 watching the demonstration, out in a parking lot. The club's Facebook group has a video of part of the demonstration, starting around 0300 UTC:

For being a nighttime pass, SO-50 did a good job.

Last week (Friday evening, 15 March), I also used SO-50 for one of the two demonstrations I gave at the Oro Valley Amateur Radio Club in Tucson. That pass came by just before 9pm (0400 UTC), and stations were also heard from coast to coast across the continental USA. I also worked AO-92, which came by a few minutes after the SO-50 pass. As with last night's demonstration, SO-50 was up to the task, and still sounds pretty good for being in orbit a long time.

73!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    AD7DB and WE4B like this.
  9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like the batteries are still doing what they should be doing :)

WD9EWK likes this.
  10. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Until I see some presentations from the satellite's owner or operator, I'm going to keep using it night and day.

KO4MA, WE4B and WD9EWK like this.