ad: hrd-2

Is SO-50 Okay?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KR0SIV, Dec 13, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as my challenge, I think your vague reference to "reference papers and project management documents" doesn't cut the mustard. Because I'm a nice guy, I'm going to make the donation anyway. Do you expect us to believe you had read these documents then assumed since it had been eleven years the satellite would be turned off while in eclipse?

You got me! I have paid you a compliment. I've agreed with you before, too. Don't tell Santa Claus -- I've been bad this year, too.

245e07a19f6f98868a4a4e1edc76efe2612b6f07c4026bafd874f8eb2ed13043.jpg

2. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... I think your vague reference to "reference papers and project management documents" doesn't cut the mustard ...

I will not tell Dr. Turki Saud Mohammed Al-Saud that you said that ... he sent one of his presentations on the SaudiSats, and it isn't "vague" at all ...

>> ... Because I'm a nice guy ...

I have heard that rumor ...

>> ... I'm going to make the donation anyway ...

After your challenge, any gentleman would.

>> ... Do you expect us to believe you had read these documents then assumed since it had been eleven years the satellite would be turned off while in eclipse?

No assumptions made on my part. I have read (I am sure you have, too) reports of slightly degraded reception in the dead of night. I assumed nothing - I add nothing to that. I ***thought*** it was common sense telling me that eleven-year-old (SO-50 launch anniversary THIS WEEK!) battery technology was starting to show a little wear and tear - but that is NOT a formal statement from anyone in charge (pun intended).

It feels like we can all get back to do what we do: turn folks on to this aspect of this wonderful hobby, and make sure they know there's more than just working an FM bird or two as they desire to progress.

Clint Bradford
    k6lcs@ham-sat.info

3. W5PFG

I didn't know you were in such close contact with the sponsoring organization of a satellite launched years ago. Are you able to share this presentation with us?

Using a little website called Google and I managed to find several presentations about the SaudiSat program from KACST. None of which mentioned the batteries deteriorating in eleven years. If you have one, please share it with us.

Did my little challenge entice you to send out some emails or were you and the good doctor already close pals?

4. W5PFG

That doesn't sound so bad.

Urdb-World_sLargestWhiteFlagWavedInSurrenderToOhioRiver916_lg.png

I've got to quit wasting time on this and send out a QSL for someone's first satellite contact we made earlier on SO-50.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you put the presentation up on one of your web sites, or e-mail it to those who might be interested in seeing it? I'd be interested in seeing a copy of that.

As for the reports of "slightly degraded reception in the dead of night", I recall those discussions came down to (1) half-duplex operation by operators who don't realize SO-50 doesn't transmit a constant carrier, and/or (2) non-use of the 74.4 Hz PL tone to activate the satellite. Neither of these reasons relate to battery performance. There have been other reports on this forum confirming SO-50 works at night as well as in daytime.

As with other satellites, a common failure point is in the batteries. AO-51's life was cut short on account of failing batteries. AO-27's operations, when it is on, have been limited based on fears about its batteries. AO-7's batteries failed a few years after its launch, and now operates only off its solar panels. Not knowing if SO-50 was designed so that the solar panels can power the satellite directly in the case of a battery failure, it has a design that should help keep the batteries in good shape (needing to be turned on in 10-minute increments, requiring a 67.0 Hz PL on the uplink to activate the downlink transmitter, and not transmitting a constant carrier). This has served the satellite well in the past 11 years, and may help it keep going for many more. Sure, the batteries could fail next week, or maybe we'll get another 11 years from this satellite. For now, let's keep on using it...

73!

6. K6LCS

... As for the reports of "slightly degraded reception in the dead of night" ... Neither of these reasons relate to battery performance ...

Thank you.

>> ...
    the batteries could fail next week, or maybe we'll get another 11 years from this satellite. For now, let's keep on using it ...

Yes!

7. WD9EWK

Clint,

Since we appear to agree about wanting to use SO-50, can we get back to that presentation you brought up? Will you post it on one of your web pages, or at least e-mail it? If it is too much of a bother to host it on your web space, I know of a couple of places it could go. It would be nice to have more background information on that satellite, as there really isn't much about it online.

Thanks!

8. K6LCS

I have several items from the Saudis on the development of their satellite programs ... and am waiting for more. Seems a little funny putting much energy into an 11-year-old bird's history - but you know I'll publish it on a sub-page ... A lot of info is out there - Stanford University and King Abdulaziz University for Science & Technology have a bunch of stuff online ... as well as convention/meetings these past several years a which KACST participated or sponsored.

The Saudi's subsequent photographic satellites (non-amateur-radio-related) were incredible for their time ...

9. WD9EWK

We're looking forward to what you have to offer.

Like W5PFG, I have been searching online. Lots of stuff on the more-recent efforts from Saudi Arabia, some about the first two SaudiSat satellites, but not much on SaudiSat-1C (SO-50). Notes about conventions and meetings didn't really add anything to what I wanted to know about SO-50. And it doesn't hurt to get this stuff out in the wild, so it isn't lost over time.

73!

10. K6LCS

>> ... so it isn't lost over time ...

So here I am, maintaining a Web site that keeps CURRENT info for folks wanting to get in to that aspect of the hobby,
    and now have become some sort of "historian" for SO-50 (grin). I am sure AMSAT-UK has some printed materials in their
    storage on SaudiSat1, too.

Anyone having SO-50 birthday parties this week? It was launched on December 20, 2002!

Clint
    k6lcs@ham-sat.info