Is SO-50 Okay?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KR0SIV, Dec 13, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AC0RA

AC0RA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't know what your talking about a recommendation would be to not post. If you worked so50 you would know it works day or night. If fact just two post before yours I said I worked two stations on a 7utc pass. It doesn't matter where your at in the USA 7utc is night.

2. KG4ULT

KG4ULT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great i see there is a pass Saturday evening here in South MS. Cant wait. Hope its not too cold out.

73 De
    Frank

3. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought the batteries were deteriorating ... A couple middle-of-the-night passes a couple months ago were not successful. GREAT NEWS - Insomniacs DO have a satellite to work!

Clint K6LCS

>> ... If you worked so50 you would know it works day or night.

Oh - that's right - I've never worked a bird before ... guess I should visit my own Web site ... Your jealousy/immaturity/anti-Clint crusade mentality is really boring, and tells us a lot more about you than trying to find faults with me.

4. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use a full-duplex station that allows you to hear while transmitting, it is very easy to work SO-50. I've done this with many combinations of transceivers.

The Yaesu FT-60R is a poor choice for testing out SO-50 in the middle of the night because you would not have any indication you are being picked up by the transponder unless someone comes back to you. With full duplex you could hear yourself clearly through the transponder, indicating the satellite is working.

5. K6LCS

I am trying to remember the citation regarding satellite battery degradation that had me concerned about working SO-50 at night ... It is, after all, coming up on the 11th anniversary of its launch this Friday. I think it was from the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Washington University in Missouri. I'll look a little more ...

[TABLE="class: sides, width: 800, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

6. K6LCS

>> ... The Yaesu FT-60R is a poor choice ...

The FT-60R is an excellent choice for either the RX or TX side - as we all know it is best to work '50 in full duplex mode. A pair would be great. For those of us who have been consistently using the mantra, "It is best to work the FM sats in full-duplex mode ... " - we know that both the RX and TX antennas should be improved a bit to insure successful communications - especially now more than ever on SO-50.

You might learn a little from someone with a demonstrable history the past 8 years teaching folks about this. Visit my site again! Who knows what tips you may pick up.

Clint K6LCS
    http://www.work-sat.com

7. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Find me a citation from a reputable source by 08:00 UTC 2013-12-17 and I will call Martha and donate $50 to AMSAT in your name. Reputable sources would include the satellite builder, AMSAT-NA, or AMSAT-UK.

You can defend FT-60R's all night long. It's a good radio. Two of them make a fine FM satellite station combined with modest yagi antennas. We can agree on that all night long. Two $30 Baofeng UV-5RA on Amazon is still cheaper. :cool:

You can cite how many years you've done demos, who you are friends with, and your website but it doesn't change the fact that SO-50 works fine in eclipse.

8. K6LCS

The reference papers and project management documents drawn up by the King Abdulaziz University for Science & Technology as the project was being developed estimated battery life to be a little less than these 11 years. Read 'em for yourself, and let us know when and how payment to AMSAT-NA was made.

Anything else this evening?

Clint Bradford

9. K6LCS

Wow ... Just found this while cruising the 'Net -

==================================================
    "Clint, It is amazing how much old (or just plan BAD) information is out there
    about amateur satellites. Even "official" sites seem to have about a 30-50%
    chance of having substantial misinformation about their satellites.

"You keep doing what you're doing and hopefully others will follow-suit."
    ==================================================

Wanna guess the author of that? Our very own W5PFG! You WERE able to recognize
    excellence just a couple years ago. I surely haven't changed my methodology recently.

Thanks for that unsolicited testimonial ... might ask your permission to use it later!

And so it goes ...

10. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where are the reference papers and project management documents available for us to read?

Besides, estimated battery life doesn't equal actual battery life. Without publicly available telemetry, it's impossible for any of us to tell the condition of the batteries.

If the owners of the satellite tell us not to use it in eclipse due to concerns about the health of the batteries, they can do that, but they have not done so.

As a practical matter, SO-50 likely spends long stretches of it's orbit inactive. It does not send a continuous carrier and the prevalent intruders in the 2 meter satellite band cannot accidentally turn it on since it requires a PL tone. Turning on the transponder for short stretches while eclipsed is probably OK.