Is Palstar out of the linear amplifier business?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by J85K, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Carl, you were probably dropping bread crumbs.

Do you remember the issue of CQ that showed a huge dinner party at National Radio in the late 40s or early 50s and featured an article about the design team for the NC-300? The photo made it look like National must have employed at least a few hundred people back then, it was a big room very full of people sitting at tables. They must have been hugely successful.

I think the article also discussed that J.W. Millen was once a National employee who then spun off to form his own company.

I'll have to go look for that one.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Even though I wasn't born, I've always felt that I could have been part of the National design team. The controversy surrounding R12 has always been poignant! If I had been at the IRS auction instead of fighting dessert storm/dessert shield in the navy in 1991, I certainly would have bid on a replacement tuning knob for my NC-173. Finally, let me make clear: I don't do repairs. On amplifiers. For hams. :)

3. G4FUT

G4FUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KB4QAA
    Er....hatched then ?.....:)

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont remember what the peak employment was but during my time there 1963-69 it peaked at 1200. That included National Company and National Radio Company which combined covered military and government contracts, commercial, components, knobs. NC and NRC had seperate R&D facilities for many years and were combined shortly before I left for greener pastures.

Carl

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Must have been a fascinating place to work. You were there in the HRO-500 development and market release days.

I worked after school (as a teen) at a large amateur radio dealership in NJ that had the National line (and every other line there was) and we stocked NCX-5s, NCL-2000s, HRO-500s and the little National 200 low-end transceivers, which were all on the market at that time (68-69-70). I loved the HRO-500. It was the first receiver I ever used with the features it had (military stuff probably did, but I had no experience with that) and was a very slick design. I would have given a kidney to have one, but I was a poor teen, transitioning from high school to college and barely making ends meet.

I did own an NC-303 and several other National receivers. My first "real" receiver that actually worked worth a damn was an NC-125 which was older than I was but it worked and I was enthralled to have it.

I loved the '303 because it was so big and roomy inside, I installed three VHF-UHF converters literally inside its enclosure, screwed to its rear panel and powered by the accessory socket (they were Ameco nuvistor converters).

Always wanted an HRO-500, though.

6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't take those expressions lightly, I could probably get you an Icom 7800 if you want to make good on that. Lou

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, the give and take of bartering, a friendly tradition of hamming!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.